Thread: Meter lenses, dark to transparent?

Errm... Ey Vatos!!!!

Meter lenses, dark to transparent?

Was I hallucinating one night, or did someone come up with a way to strip the tint off of the meter plastic lenses? I got my loaner back from Aaron the other day, and it reminded me with the blue LED's not quite the way I want em to be.
    Mains - "Frankey", the WOPL'd 700 "in disguise", Backplaned With Fully Complementary Output Stage / Sansui AU-517 (Pre Only) / CV D-9's (mod'd)
    Analog - Denon DN-790R, Technics SL-Q5 Linear Tracker
    Digital - Asus Xonar ST DAC running at 96K, pure digital bliss

You can't fight the fella ... in the Brite Nitegown - D Fagen
    Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right, but Three do! - 2NU

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Must've been trippin dude....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Errm... Ey Vatos!!!!
    Maybe, but take a look here.. I've circled two places where it would seem the tint has come off i.e. no tint. I can't quite recall where I've read someone actually was able to strip the tint off completely. I think??

A little difficult to see, but trust me.. two lighter areas are there if you see em in person.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3778.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	29640
    Mains - "Frankey", the WOPL'd 700 "in disguise", Backplaned With Fully Complementary Output Stage / Sansui AU-517 (Pre Only) / CV D-9's (mod'd)

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    I don't remember anything like that Jer...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Screw it
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeckva View Post
    Was I hallucinating one night, or did someone come up with a way to strip the tint off of the meter plastic lenses? I got my loaner back from Aaron the other day, and it reminded me with the blue LED's not quite the way I want em to be.
    Paint em black. Stevie Wonder don't need no stinkin eye candy......
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

No such things as bad days, just bad moments
    Not too long ago I posted about tinted meter lenses on a 400. A new lighting board with blue LED's gave the meters a dim, sickly appearance but bright white LED's made them look normal. The thought never occurred that the dark tinting was an applique, it seems more likely that the plastic is itself colored. Personally I am not partial to blue illumination and prefer white. If for no other reason than it's easier for me to see.

---
    Wow....the colors!!!

Errm... Ey Vatos!!!!
    Hee hee..

Well if there is a way, I sure as heck am not going to experiment with what I have. I do have another un-wopl'd 400 I bought a few months back with clear lenses, so whenever that "round 'tuit" comes again ..