Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Also pondering turntable switcher

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    3 in , 2 out, that shouldn't take long...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    Gary: In a dedicated thread, I will set aside some time to post pictures I took at Innovative Audio's 10th Annual Vintage Audio & Record Garage Sale. We had a good time there. The event was well-attended with lots of good gear and media available.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Taking a look at affordable rides, this generation of cars is where it's at. Love to see more of the big Caddy, Brad.

Yah, I went overboard in getting a GM AM/FM stereo 8-track deck. Geri and I both bought the Buick. This thing is a time capsule - it even smells like 1976 when sitting inside.

Nando.

I am Sooooo Diggin' your new ride!! Pretty, Pretty!!
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

No such things as bad days, just bad moments
    Ironic that When I first looked on e-bay for that Niles switcher, there were two. Perry, you got the new one and the one I bid on went for $1 more than my bid. Not choked at that at all, and would not have spent over the $52 US it went for.

I got intrigued enough by the 5 position switcher I saw with knob on top to investigate further. Cheapest e-bay price I saw was $32.95 with free shipping but I found an online vendor MCM, selling them for $22.98 shipped so I ordered one. Will wind up being $30 CDN so plenty 'nuff for an experiment.

The brand is YIS, undoubtedly from China but I get no hits on Google searching that name. Thought at least I'd get a link to an AK thread saying what a piece of crap it is. But there are six customer reviews on the MCM site, all (nudge, nudge) good. Mentioned was that it did have a steel box, the rotary switch had good feel and one guy says his has been doing duty for six months with no issues. So i mean really, how much better an endorsement can there be than working for six months without crapping out?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...ductid=50-6180

No such things as bad days, just bad moments
    FWIW, figured I'd update this. I've been using the cheapo Chinese YIS switcher for about a month and so far so good. It does have some heft thanks to the steel box and the switch action is actually butter smooth. Almost no noise going from position to position. Not much inside except a PC board and the switch itself - plastic/nylon bodied of course but it is securely chassis mounted to the steel case and not dependent on the solder connections to the board. All in all, for about $25 shipped, a pretty good buy I think.

Can't really tell from the photo, but the top is beveled a few degrees back to front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	29626