Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Also pondering turntable switcher

No such things as bad days, just bad moments

Also pondering turntable switcher

Coincidentally I just read Perry's thread after looking for ideas on a multiple turntable switching unit. I have a cheapo Chinese two input rocker switch unit that's a POS and want more than two inputs anyway plus a Radio Shack 3 input push button job that's probably not much better. Was considering building one from multiple DPST toggle switches, isolated RCA jacks and a steel project box but plain and simple don't have the time anymore to do stuff like that. I'd be at it for weeks - months even. The cost of parts would get up there and since of late my monthly income is sometimes less than the outgo I must indulge my whims as cheaply as possible.

Anyone have an opinion on a Niles AXP-1 for turntable use? They're long out of production but there are a couple on e-bay right now and appear in the Sold listings so they don't seem hard to come by. At least the case is supposedly steel not plastic which makes me think it should be shielded from interference and any TT's with separate ground wires I would run directly to the pre-amp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Niles AXP-1 front.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	29368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Niles ASP-1 rear.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	29369

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Looks like a well built unit Gary....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Thanks for the endorsement, good enough for me. Now it's off to e-bay I go.

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    Probably not a good alternative since it only has 2 inputs but there's also the Schiit Audio SYS unit. Includes a volume control too! Totally passive with NO power input at all.
    ALSO... you can use it as one input and 2 outputs with the volume control functional.
    At $50 it's handy to have around.

http://schiit.com/products/sys

My current use of the SYS as a preamp:

iMac > Schiit Bifrost (multibit) DAC > SYS > Aragon 8008bb > NHT 2.9

Fun little system!

Thanks R12 and your recommendation with its pedigree is no doubt better suited to phono switching than that Niles. But for no logical reason, I want multiple turntable switching. There are three I can leave connected if inputs allowed and I could expand that to five. Like I said, no logical or practical for that matter reason. Went through a similar phase with speakers once. Had six pairs hooked up in my living room via a ten pair ex-sound room switcher.

Screw it
    Quote Originally Posted by 62vauxhall View Post
    Thanks R12 and your recommendation with its pedigree is no doubt better suited to phono switching than that Niles. But for no logical reason, I want multiple turntable switching. There are three I can leave connected if inputs allowed and I could expand that to five. Like I said, no logical or practical for that matter reason. Went through a similar phase with speakers once. Had six pairs hooked up in my living room via a ten pair ex-sound room switcher.
    Gary, I just picked up a Niles APX-1, should be here in a few days. I think I can run both Turn Tables into it and the output to the Pyle Phono Pre then to the Preamp. I'll let you know how it works and see if there is any noise/distortion.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    I hear ya. I have 3 tables and I'm always plugging and unplugging.

Screw it
    If you only need to deal with 2 Turntables, this will work great. Built just for this application. I bought one to try. The price is cheap too.

https://soundapproach.com/rek-o-kut-...ux-switch.html
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Screw it
    Let see if this works. Looks like the ticket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LoNoiseSwInst.pdf 
Views:	19 
Size:	644.4 KB 
ID:	29373

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    Gary, I just picked up a Niles APX-1, should be here in a few days. I think I can run both Turn Tables into it and the output to the Pyle Phono Pre then to the Preamp. I'll let you know how it works and see if there is any noise/distortion.
    I put in a bid on one last night but it went over my $51 maximum today and I did not go higher. With exchange and $10 shipping, it would have been over 80 Great White North bucks and that was even too high for me. I was hoping it would have stayed below $40.