Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 240 volt PL400?

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors

240 volt PL400?

Howdy folks; This is my first post here. I'll do an intro in a bit, but I'll get my first question in before I forget what it was.
    I just received my first PL400 & it's pretty sad. In fact the Ebay listing was titled " Lavatory Standard" I thought it was a typo, but now I think it was some evil humor!
    Anyhow, I did not expect much for $120.00.
    The fun bit is that the transformer is labeled 240 volt. I'm having a hard time finding any info on 240 volt models. ( The serial# is: 15724)
    I was thinking maybe just choice of taps, but after dropping the faceplate I see one of the filter caps has a large orange 240 volt sticker. It just arrived yesterday & I'd like to know more about what all is different from the 117 volt models before messing with it. I find it odd that it has a U.S. three prong 115v plug. I thought the Euros had completely different layouts on their plugs?
    I'll be searching for the correct service manual.
    I'd like to do all of the WOPL mods if possible. ( One of the groovy black faceplates will be a must also ) If not. I'll just chuck it in the mudhole.
    I'm just an old played out kit builder / tinkerer from waaaay back. Not an engineer or audiophile.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Brad

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    I don't think Phase made a single volt 240 model, we'll have to check with Ed on that.. more than likely it's a dual voltage model model. No difference in the power supply caps, the secondaries will be the same voltage.

Welcome to Phoenix...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    The meters are worth 120.00, you didn't get hurt...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Forum Veteran
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Howdy folks; This is my first post here. I'll do an intro in a bit, but I'll get my first question in before I forget what it was.
    I just received my first PL400 & it's pretty sad. In fact the Ebay listing was titled " Lavatory Standard" I thought it was a typo, but now I think it was some evil humor!
    Anyhow, I did not expect much for $120.00.
    The fun bit is that the transformer is labeled 240 volt. I'm having a hard time finding any info on 240 volt models. ( The serial# is: 15724)
    I was thinking maybe just choice of taps, but after dropping the faceplate I see one of the filter caps has a large orange 240 volt sticker. It just arrived yesterday & I'd like to know more about what all is different from the 117 volt models before messing with it. I find it odd that it has a U.S. three prong 115v plug. I thought the Euros had completely different layouts on their plugs?
    I'll be searching for the correct service manual.
    I'd like to do all of the WOPL mods if possible. ( One of the groovy black faceplates will be a must also ) If not. I'll just chuck it in the mudhole.
    I'm just an old played out kit builder / tinkerer from waaaay back. Not an engineer or audiophile.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Brad
    Brad,

I took a look at the ebay posting and I see the 240 volt sticker (on the back of the transformer) as well as a gray power cord. Phase Linear made some series 1 amplifiers like your 400 for export that indeed had a 240 volt primary. Fortunately for you, yours appears to have a dual primary as indicated by the sticker on the heat-sink next to the transformer. The ones that were made without the dual primary did not include this additional sticker.

Whereabouts are you located?

Ed

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by oldphaser View Post
    Brad,

I took a look at the ebay posting and I see the 240 volt sticker (on the back of the transformer) as well as a gray power cord. Phase Linear made some series 1 amplifiers like your 400 for export that indeed had a 240 volt primary. Fortunately for you, yours appears to have a dual primary as indicated by the sticker on the heat-sink next to the transformer. The ones that were made without the dual primary did not include this additional sticker.

Whereabouts are you located?

Ed
    Thank you all for the reply's.

I'm in the middle of BFE. The heart of the Ozarks near West Plains Missouri. The nearest real city from me is Springfield which is 150 miles away.
    And we are pretty much homebound these days. So Ebay is a savior.
    And the interwebs in general. Would have been handy when I was building Heathkits & Dynaco's in the sixties!! Heh..Heh

I'll try to get some pics of my 'Lavatory Standard' posted this evening.

Forum Veteran
    ---
    Brad,

Here is a link to our an archived copy of the web site Dean and I shared some time ago.

RE: 120/240V transformer wiring:

http://web.archive.org/web/200602070...etek2/xfmr.jpg

Also check our our old homepage:

http://web.archive.org/web/200810111...l.com/PhaseTek

Ed

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    This is just incredible. Thank you so much!
    I've found the motherload.
    Between this & rebuilding my old Dynaco MK111's , I'm going to be reading and absorbing until way past the cows coming home.
    I'll do some printing also, as the few remaining brain cells just don't absorb like they used too!

EDIT: I want to add that this is WAY better than sending stamped self addressed envelopes & waiting 4 -6 weeks for a reply!
    Last edited by Bradrock; 06-07-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: afterthought

At 240V you can almost skip the electric fencing for the cows with a little rectification.
    Brought to you by...improved OLD AGE! Whatever you want, Old Age has got it, get your own, and get off my property! Crazy kids!

Forum Veteran
    ---I run with Scissors
    I was thinking I could just use it in my shop at 240. The first three phase Phase Linear?

I suppose it could arc weld your speaker coils...
    Brought to you by...improved OLD AGE! Whatever you want, Old Age has got it, get your own, and get off my property! Crazy kids!