Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Favourite tuner

---
    When I purchased my system I wanted the tuner to match either the preamp or the amp. So I A/B compared two:

the SAE3200 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sae3200.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	29887 vs the Phase Linear PL5100 II Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5100II.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	29886

Both had good sensitivity. The SAE had a very slight edge in sound quality, but the features like presets and scan, along with the stylish, modern look of the Phase Linear made it a clear winner for me. They SAE looked liked old lab equipment, even when it was new.
    Last edited by Netfly; 08-11-2017 at 09:44 AM.

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
    I did some horse-trading a few weeks ago, and my Akai AT-V04 went to an audiobuddy. It was a great tuner, but I had picked up an ADS T2 Atelier at an estate sale, I liked its ergonomics better, and it matched the rest of my black-faced gear better. The T2 is so good that I can tell one radio station from another by its SQ - it's like I'm getting a direct wire feed from the station's broadcast console. I also have a NAD 4130 which is destined for a garage sale or thrift store.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

One I dearly love is the HK Citation 14.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ation-14.shtml

Sold one on consignment two years ago and it was the best sound I've ever heard. Nashville is not a tricky environment with crowded FM stations and skyscrapers, so my opinion is based on sound quality alone.