Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Favourite tuner

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    Hey Lee, The Cats Whisker still working? You know they were the cat's meow so to speak.....

Cats whisker???
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s-whisker_detector

Essentially a crystal (usually galena) with a thin wire used as a detector.
    Brought to you by...improved OLD AGE! Whatever you want, Old Age has got it, get your own, and get off my property! Crazy kids!

Screw it
    Yeah, these were the precursor to the tuner. We used to build crystal radios back in the day.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Ah, never did that...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Quote Originally Posted by grapplesaw View Post
    The two Sansui's are so different it is like the old and new, which they are, with very similar sound. I believe with some work the TU-9900 will be the one I keep.
    I live a quarter mile from a 5,000 watt AM station and I don't know what splatter is. We even had our own Jennifer Marlowe as a secretary there for years, just like WKRP.

So I used to get them in my phonograph 12 miles away when I was a kid without proper grounding...like I said they finally got a 'modern' transmitter back in the 90s and I can get decent response slightly detuned. Now playing: Imagine - John Lennon.
    Brought to you by...improved OLD AGE! Whatever you want, Old Age has got it, get your own, and get off my property! Crazy kids!

Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Ah, never did that...
    You married a whisker detector, Lee, and her reception was excellent.

No such things as bad days, just bad moments
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPL Sniffer View Post
    Yeah, these were the precursor to the tuner. We used to build crystal radios back in the day.
    Copper wire coiled around a toilet paper tube, a strip of metal cut from a tin can, an ear plug and whatever the crystal that was? Can't remember what it was called, had to get it at a TV/radio repair shop. That it actually worked blew me away at the time. But I amazed easily at 8 or 10.

The crystal radio set I built was overpowered by the local station, heard across the entire 'dial'. I guess I wasn't much at diagnosing those kinds of problems back then.
    5F70, CS-6, MS-10, K-12, RX-103, T-110 x 2, K-112, D-117, K-117, G-120a, L-580, C-1000, R-1040, R-1050, R-1120 x 3, MB-3045 x 2

Spare me from your need of emotional rescue
    WWII generation folks have lots of great stories about using crystal radios.

It was practically the internet of their time ...
    | WOPL | Sony ES | B&W | Rotel | MoFi | AT | Denon | SoundMagic | Ultrasone | Cobalt Cable | PS Audio | Signet | Teac |

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist. .... Salman Rushdie

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    I had a blast building a few crystal radios when I was a kid, used to listen to Phil Rizzuto calling the Yankee's games at night back in the early 70s

HOLY COW
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car