Thread: Dynaco C-100 Energy Storage System (Capacitor Bank)

Forum Veteran
    ---

Dynaco C-100 Energy Storage System (Capacitor Bank)

I thought there might be some interest by some of you folks out there in building your own capacitor bank.
    So I thought I would start off by posting what I could find on the Dynaco C-100.

NOTE: Perhaps we can get Joe's comments on the attached schematic diagram.

Here are some miscellaneous comments:

Dynaco C-100 Energy Storage System
    Designed by Wade D. Burns(?), chief engineer. It appears that he may still be alive and living in Blackwood, N.J..

Apparently the C-100's may also be stacked in multiples. They were sold "assembled only".

There may even be an article on the C-100 in an old Audio Amateur magazine. (circa 1976?) perhaps written by Walt Jung?

The jack on the ST400/ST416 is an RWK-4-31SL, the mating cable connector on the C100 is an RWK-4-24C-3/8

There is some discussion on http://www.updatemydynaco.com/Stereo400.html

C-100 Capacitor Bank
    Large filter caps in the power supply hold up the power supply rails even when the going gets rough. The Stereo 400 and 416 were there at the birth of the "Super Amps" and the start of the microfarad wars. Manufacturers started throwing 10's of thousands of microfarads into their power supplies, all in the name of better bass. The C-100 capacitor bank was the ultimate answer to the microfarad wars. You could add a C-100 to a Stereo 400 or a 416.
    The schematic shown below contains revisions and corrections pointed out to me by Jim Switzer in an email on 12/17/2016. I added a few more annotations that make the schematic a bit easier to analyze and understand. In the course of that, I've written a circuit description that contains a mystery, so the schematic might still have an error.

http://www.updatemydynaco.com/docume...escription.pdf

There is currently (1) C-100 listed on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DYNA...item3f7916c292

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	28846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aed8ddee189a8add51dda9bf7b0ea6ab.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	28847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	28848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-100FixedSchematic.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	28849   C100CircuitDescription.pdf  
    Last edited by oldphaser; 04-16-2017 at 02:30 AM.

---
    Ed I am impressed with your write up. I am afraid I need to question the need of such complex system. We are building large power supplies at this time for the monster mono builds. Perry has a good build with a soft start setup to avoid high load on start up but left with petted to metal from there on. I am working on a dual triode transformer connected to four 22,000 caps. This will be interesting thread to follow to see everyones thoughts.

If I understand this right the system will kick into slow charging rate when the mean voltage drops to low. this leaves me thinking that the supply may not preform well at high current needs with various charge rates.
    try the Lightening Bolt WOPL 1000 for a hair lifting experience today

Warning !!! Use only when you want to blown the town down

proud father of the only WOPL Fully Comp dual 500

Forum Veteran
    ---
    Glen,

The thought here was that something like the C-100 would inter-connect via a connector to an existing transformer and power supply caps on a Phase Linear 400 or 700 much like Dynaco did with the 400/416 series of amplifiers. Not creating a new power supply from scratch with a new transformer or a new amplifier design. I would like to see more about Perry's soft start circuit. If it is already posted, please point me there.

Thanks!
    Ed

---
    Thanks Ed. That makes it clear as I missed that concept. Now I will look at the schematic closer and see how to adjust for different rail voltage. Do you see much heat from the 600 ohm 10 watt transistors? I assume they are only in circuit at lower voltages and come out as full charge is reached.

Here is one tread on Perry's power supply

http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showt...owers-Supply-s
    try the Lightening Bolt WOPL 1000 for a hair lifting experience today

Warning !!! Use only when you want to blown the town down

proud father of the only WOPL Fully Comp dual 500

Screw it
    I was kinda wondering how the contacts on the relays held up with the large current kick....

Very cool piece though. Thanks Ed

As for the "Soft Start's" I am experimenting with, I think I got my 20 bucks worth. They seem to be the ticket (I.e. no brown outs during the charging of the 6 bulk caps). They also came with the transistors to turn off the circuit in case of a heat problem. They seem to be adjustable but the board didn't come with any directions so I gotta play.... The first power supply is about finished and between taxes and the Honey DO NOW list, I'll be back in the shop working Monday... Yee-haaaaa...
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Forum Veteran
    ---
    Does anyone out there have a copy of The Absolute Sound Vol. 3 Number 9 Spring 1977 "The Double Dyna" starting on page 28......
    Dynaco Double 400 modified by Frank Van Alstine.

It may also contain some interesting information on the subject of a beefed up power supply.

Apparently Dynaco copied some of Frank's work and implemented it in the Dynaco 416 and C-100?????

Ed
    Last edited by oldphaser; 05-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.