Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipad direct to stereo=not great

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    Too bad it's not a 50,000 watt clear channel station, then you could hear the music in your dental fillings.
    No, that's it's co-channel occupant KRKO in Everett, Washington. And YES, if not properly grounded I could get it in my first phonograph from 12 miles away back in the 80s. They have a much more modern Gates Five transmitter now.

Now more monster with the reinforced glass and the huge eerier glowing eye that needed the basement for cooling...The Gates Five (Harris) is a PDM model that would fit in an average coat closet.

It replaced the monster BC-5E

Last edited by orange; 03-30-2017 at 08:21 PM.

---
    Transmitters are pretty boring these days, I worked in a radio room where an old UHF TV transmitter was serviced by walk-in.

Another story: when we were digging a trench to feed power to a hut at the base of an AM station we hit and severed their transmission line, It was spliced back together with automotive jumper cables to get them back on the air. I always hated working around those AM towers, everything there tries to kill you.

Forum Veteran
    AHEM

Victim of the record bug since age five
    Speaking of digital DACs, I saw a BlueTooth box that plugs into your audio inputs. It was cheap (still didn't buy it) and looks like an easy way to connect iPads, iPods and (anything with BT). Anyone use one?

Spare me from your need of emotional rescue
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkWComer View Post
    Speaking of digital DACs, I saw a BlueTooth box that plugs into your audio inputs. It was cheap (still didn't buy it) and looks like an easy way to connect iPads, iPods and (anything with BT). Anyone use one?
    I use various versions of those throughout the home and at my shop.
    | WOPL | Sony ES | B&W | Rotel | MoFi | AT | Denon | SoundMagic | Ultrasone | Cobalt Cable | PS Audio | Signet | Teac |

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist. .... Salman Rushdie

Forum Veteran
    Still using line input/output switchers (i.e. Rat Shack tape control centers and Niles) to feed my stereos.

I'm very curious about any tech item
    I use successfully BT connections between my Lenovo and my two systems .
    One is Logitech and the other is Philips ( price approx . 30 /40 ).
    I'm not able to appreciate the difference between cables and BT .
    Furthermore ,according some articles , I can't hear the difference between
    16 bit / 44 kHz and 24 bit 96 Khz .
    So downloading Hd tracks is useless .
    Regarding Mp3 it depends from recording .
    I can only adfirm that I can hear the difference betwween CDs and records .
    To be honest I prefer records , but I use the peak unlimiter and autocorrelator .
    Ciao
    Marco

Forum Veteran
    WORKING is my mantra. I've had some real messes to fix and when you don't have an alternative a working file is a file until you find a file.

Again, you have our Christmas albums as a really good example. If you think You Tube audio sucks, that's because somebody with no skills made it. I went in and fixed it, and did the ripping from a 1981 Akai HX-2 with only Dolby B for processing in Audigy. Lo-Fi? Yes and No-Fi.

And 'HD audio' my heinie.

Quote Originally Posted by R1200S View Post
    I've posted this link before but think it's one of the best white papers about digital recording I've come across. Roger Sanders gets into some of the nuts & bolts of digital music. It's worth a read. (check out his other white papers if you have time!)

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/techn...ng-white-paper
    It's nothing new that I think Roger is a god however, he misses some marks on the digital superiority, there is not a perfect sound for everyone.

"I'm getting by on decibels like a drug, and greet every new day with a shrug" ~ Ah-Ha
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

Journeyman Member
    ---
    Transmitters are pretty boring these days