Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 700B/ Series II heat sinks

---there is no replacement for displacement
    [QUOTE=grapplesaw;207002]I have measured and 2"x 6" X 1/16" rectangular aluminum tubing should work. Just cut off one end at stock length or leave them long at full 6". I am going to build a set. The high heat sensors will have to be mounted prior to assembly with counter sink screws from the back side. I am using six of these in my monster mono build in 1/4" wall. Say tuned. It's a little down (3or4) on my list. Need a full comp 400 first. Then finish referb of my original 700 series one then after that. In the mean time I am ordering the heat sink stock

Thats exaxtly right, was going to do the exact thing only with 1/8" aluminum 2" x 6" rectangular tubing. The 1/8" thick will slightly crowd the backplane board hardware but can be clearanced manually. A good carbide blade and some lubrication wax on a mitre saw makes quick work of cutting extruded aluminum tubing, been fabricating motorocyle racing parts like this for years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3467.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	28582  

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    is 1-3/4 unavailable??
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    is 1-3/4 unavailable??
    i scoured EBay and Amazon for a 1-3/4" x 1/8" wall but couldn't find anything. I am sure an extruder out there has one but I haven't found it yet. With Glen using 1/16" he wouldn't having any crowding issues with the backplane hardware but might not be enough "aluminum mass" for heat dissipation.

Administrator
    There was a discussion about mass here at one time....area has more to do with it than mass, but mass is also important too...if it was me I'd stick with the 1/8"....any copper rectangle out there??

Also, how are you going to layout the holes? You can't layout or transfer from the amp side, you'll wind up with a mirror image and the "tilt" of the outputs will be opposite of what they should be....I've tried it. I had to lay out mine from the transistor side by clamping a stock heatsink to the copper plate and using a transfer punch. A real machinist could could drill the holes on a mill with a DRO but man, that's a lot of work...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    The 1-3/4" stock heatsink should fit inside the 2" so that might work....

Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    There was a discussion about mass here at one time....area has more to do with it than mass, but mass is also important too...if it was me I'd stick with the 1/8"....any copper rectangle out there??

Also, how are you going to layout the holes? You can't layout or transfer from the amp side, you'll wind up with a mirror image and the "tilt" of the outputs will be opposite of what they should be....I've tried it. I had to lay out mine from the transistor side by clamping a stock heatsink to the copper plate and using a transfer punch. A real machinist could could drill the holes on a mill with a DRO but man, that's a lot of work...

I would tranfer it to a piece of flat stock (probably steel) and use that as a template (jig), that can be reversed to get the correct angle. If you use steel less chance of the drill drifting and can reuse the template (jig) multiple times. Just have to take your time with the intitial template.

Administrator
    That'll work....

---
    [QUOTE=Geegz;207023]
    Quote Originally Posted by grapplesaw View Post
    I have measured and 2"x 6" X 1/16" rectangular aluminum tubing should work. Just cut off one end at stock length or leave them long at full 6". I am going to build a set. The high heat sensors will have to be mounted prior to assembly with counter sink screws from the back side. I am using six of these in my monster mono build in 1/4" wall. Say tuned. It's a little down (3or4) on my list. Need a full comp 400 first. Then finish referb of my original 700 series one then after that. In the mean time I am ordering the heat sink stock

Thats exaxtly right, was going to do the exact thing only with 1/8" aluminum 2" x 6" rectangular tubing. The 1/8" thick will slightly crowd the backplane board hardware but can be clearanced manually. A good carbide blade and some lubrication wax on a mitre saw makes quick work of cutting extruded aluminum tubing, been fabricating motorocyle racing parts like this for years.
    I was thinking 1/8 and typed 1/16. There is some 2x5x.188 out there as well. 1/4" is to thick to use with a stock chassis or Joe's. If I use the 1/4 the sockets will mount directly rest to the 1/4" channel
    try the Lightening Bolt WOPL 1000 for a hair lifting experience today

Warning !!! Use only when you want to blown the town down

proud father of the only WOPL Fully Comp dual 500

---
    Quote Originally Posted by Geegz View Post
    I would tranfer it to a piece of flat stock (probably steel) and use that as a template (jig), that can be reversed to get the correct angle. If you use steel less chance of the drill drifting and can reuse the template (jig) multiple times. Just have to take your time with the intitial template.
    Thats right
    i was going to space a chassis above a piece of 4140 flat stock and then line up each hole with right drill size and then lock down and center drill each hole. I will oil harden the jig after so it will take a lot of use. Now if I had a NC mill like some here have then it would be a lot easier.
    try the Lightening Bolt WOPL 1000 for a hair lifting experience today

Warning !!! Use only when you want to blown the town down

proud father of the only WOPL Fully Comp dual 500

Administrator
    You'll need two patterns....