Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3-500Z Toobs!

---
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
    Geez, what an awful way to go.
    Kind of spooky too. Don't think I'd want to own an amp that killed its owner.

---
    On a brighter note, how about an amp designed to make removing the transformer easy before shipping?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170211_222101443_iOS.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	28151

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FredR View Post
    On a brighter note, how about an amp designed to make removing the transformer easy before shipping?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170211_222101443_iOS.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	28151
    There you go Fred. That is the item that causes 90% of damage in shipping...either bent chassis or amp ejecting through box wall.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Cabbage Case Baby!!!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Errm... Ey Vatos!!!!
    Plate voltage on those .. wow. The P3 HF amps had a single tube, but all ceramic housing if I remember right. Heard about someone getting bit one time, threw em 10 feet.
    Mains - "Frankey", the WOPL'd 700 "in disguise", Backplaned With Fully Complementary Output Stage / Sansui AU-517 (Pre Only) / CV D-9's (mod'd)
    Analog - Denon DN-790R, Technics SL-Q5 Linear Tracker
    Digital - Asus Xonar ST DAC running at 96K, pure digital bliss

You can't fight the fella ... in the Brite Nitegown - D Fagen
    Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right, but Three do! - 2NU

Dang, I searched thru the forums for pics of my buddy Dale's old transmitter monster tubes from the KGUN 9 tower station he monitored, totally enclosed in alloy heat sink fins, weighed about 30 lbs each, the pics might still be on TapeHeads forums.

Anyhoo, cool stuff ya got there. I found this old thread from deep in Phoenix's bowels , great times...Larrt, Lee and the stuwster going at it in classic style, brought a tear to my eye ... What? Huh? Hmmm

http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showt...ad-boys-before
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

---
    It may be a Klystron tube you're looking for. That's often used for very high power transmitters.

BTW It's not the voltage, but the current that kills you. If you scrape your feet on a carpet, the static discharge can be several thousand volts. Air breaks down at about 20kv per inch. A car ignition will jump an inch or two to hit you. That can be 40kv with enough current to hurt you a bit. HV power supplies will jump out and touch you too. Been hit by 20 and 40 kv supplies several times. Worst was a 100+ kv burn in fixture for new caps. They sat in liquid flourinert that prevents arching, unless one gets uncovered. It jumped a foot or more to hit me...ouch that hurt. Thankfully the very low current made it relatively safe.
    Last edited by Netfly; 08-03-2017 at 03:15 AM.