Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member, Old Geezer

Moderate in Moderation
    Welcome to Phoenix.
    Too much gear too little time.

My independence as well as Impedance seems to vanish in the haze. Resistance is futile. Admittance is emitted from the far side of the haze and generally good when applying to colleges.

Disappointment haunted All my dreams, Lastly through a hogshead of real fire.

I am underloved, underfed, I wanna go home.

Whiskey bottles, brand new cars and Yweblwrs....

Oh, I like coffee and I like tea
    I'd like to be able to crank up a 700B
    I still got this woofer that you just can't shake
    I love to power it to the point it can no longer take
    Well all right okay, so be that way
    I hope and pray that there's something left to play

New Around These Parts timinator2's Avatar
    ---

Andromeda anyone?

Thanks guys, the camaraderie is encouraging. I also have an Andromeda loudspeaker fixation. Bob really was ahead of the curve on many fronts. Omnidirectional waveguides, dipole woofers and mids, and an early ambiance circuit ala Sonic Holography. Though I have to say with the omni tweeter spacing it puts me in mind of the Polk SDA-SRS. I've got an old service manual, I'm trying to nuke out how the the motion control module did its work. On the face of it, it appears the module is just an eq, or at best an analog "computer" that keeps the subwoofer nominally within its operating range. I'm hard pressed to see what kind of active control it can have when it just sits in a tape monitor loop without any connection to the subwoofer itself. I'm going to attempt a clone next year after I clear some other projects on the honey-do list.

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    Nice to have you join up. Some cool gear in your possession. The Phase Linear III speakers seem to be ahead of their time, but what components of Bob C's weren't.

Here is a picture of me with Bob C. and Brent Butterworth two years ago:

Nando.

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
    Ye Red Knight doth proclaim greetings to thee...
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

Hola T2!! Welcome to PHX

I love your taste in speakers, I'm a huge fan of the wall of soundstage sound
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

---
    Hence my Ohm Walsh 5's, though an impending move may relegate them to someone else. They will be way to big. I also have some Klipsch Cornwalls that have been in storage forever. I actually took those to Japan with an old Mac MC240 with the idea of selling them for a ridiculous amount of money. I brought them back with me

Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    Hola T2!! Welcome to PHX

I love your taste in speakers, I'm a huge fan of the wall of soundstage sound

---
    I would love to bend Bob's ear! He has such a fertile mind for audio, I'd like to know what he has up his sleeve next. Though it seems like he is done with the headache of the commercial side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
    Nice to have you join up. Some cool gear in your possession. The Phase Linear III speakers seem to be ahead of their time, but what components of Bob C's weren't.

Here is a picture of me with Bob C. and Brent Butterworth two years ago:

Nando.

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by timinator2 View Post
    I would love to bend Bob's ear! He has such a fertile mind for audio, I'd like to know what he has up his sleeve next. Though it seems like he is done with the headache of the commercial side of things.
    And with shirts that fit him

Journeyman Member
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by timinator2 View Post
    Thanks guys, the camaraderie is encouraging. I also have an Andromeda loudspeaker fixation. Bob really was ahead of the curve on many fronts. Omnidirectional waveguides, dipole woofers and mids, and an early ambiance circuit ala Sonic Holography. Though I have to say with the omni tweeter spacing it puts me in mind of the Polk SDA-SRS. I've got an old service manual, I'm trying to nuke out how the the motion control module did its work. On the face of it, it appears the module is just an eq, or at best an analog "computer" that keeps the subwoofer nominally within its operating range. I'm hard pressed to see what kind of active control it can have when it just sits in a tape monitor loop without any connection to the subwoofer itself. I'm going to attempt a clone next year after I clear some other projects on the honey-do list.
    I have a pair of Andromedas. I have the subwoofer, but not the motion control module (I think that is what it is called). I use an EQ. I am also curious about the control unit. Please post any of your discoveries here. I anxiously await any information you can provide about it.

By the way, do you know of a source for the plastic dispersion cones? I am in the process of moving and I broke one recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
    And with shirts that fit him
    He looks happy as Mr. Noodle, but dressed much better.

Nothing is misguided to it's creators, only the recipients who didn't want the expectation ruined for them.