Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling P-Mounts...Again (another Hecksperiment)

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black

Rolling P-Mounts...Again (another Hecksperiment)

With the bi-amping squared away, I decided to improve LP playback. I piled onto the top shelf of the Sanus rack, the usual slab of plex, and on that, three layers of MDF about the same size as the plex, and finished with black vinyl. Extra mass never hurts.

Then I tried the Arcam amp as a phono preamp, having used it that way before, but there was a ground loop, so I decided to try the Luxman instead. It did very well, showing off each cartridge in turn.

I started with what had been on the Sony for a long time, a Realistic RXT5, with a Shure N95E stylus of which I had picked up two at a pawn shop in Hobbs, New Mexico. I decided it sounded dull, so I went to my box of cartridges.

I tried an AT VS245LP with high hopes. It was just about as dull as the Realistic/Shure. Rats.

Next was the AT 6006, and that did sound better - almost, but just short of great.

Finally, I tried the Shure M110HE (with a Jico stylus) - the one the Sony came with. Now that sounded great! I started off with Mission Mountain Wood Band, and that was OK, but the LP is not quite pristine. Then, my demo copy of White Mansions, and that was just wonderful, maybe because the cart was limbered up by then, or the LP is in better shape than the MMWB LP. I think I'm going to be running this cart for a long time to come.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	27254  
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

Hey Laz, I'm not familiar with your TT, do you adjust for the different carts on the arm? P-Mounts seem like plug and play, one reason I never cared for linear tracking tone arms, you can't dial them in. No offence meant buddy, sounds like you found the right match.

Can you upgrade the stylus when needed?
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

Stuwee, it's just like rolling tubes, and you don't need to wait for them to cool, either. I can adjust the VTF, but the "dialing in" should be part of the design - you just have to know that not all P-Mounts are made to the exact T4P standard. I'm too old to be OCD-ing around with standard-mount carts... [Obsessive Compulsive Details]

The best part - the LP sounds THE SAME all the way across - no inner groove distortion. BTW, there are several linear-trackers with standard-mount headshells, for dialing-in purposes.
    Last edited by Lazarus Short; 11-28-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Soooooooo......is the inner groove the right or left channel?-
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

"Just Passin thru"
    Looking at the turntable from the front, the groove closer to the center is the inner groove.
    That would be the left channel. The groove closer to the edge is the outer groove right channel.

Check my Edit, This might help as Confucius say "a picture is worth a thousand words"

http://www.vinylrecorder.com/stereo.html
    Last edited by JustMike; 11-29-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Thank You Mike....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Mike, are you pulling Lee's leg? I ALWAYS believed the groove (that's singular) carried both channels...

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    The normal commercial disc is engraved with two sound-bearing concentric spiral grooves, one on each side, running from the outside edge towards the center. The last part of the spiral meets an earlier part to form a circle. The sound is encoded by fine variations in the edges of the groove that cause a stylus (needle) placed in it to vibrate at acoustic frequencies when the disc is rotated at the correct speed. Generally, the outer and inner parts of the groove bear no intended sound (an exception is Split Enz's Mental Notes).
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car

"Just Passin thru"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus Short View Post
    Stuwee, it's just like rolling tubes, and you don't need to wait for them to cool, either. I can adjust the VTF, but the "dialing in" should be part of the design - you just have to know that not all P-Mounts are made to the exact T4P standard. I'm too old to be OCD-ing around with standard-mount carts... [Obsessive Compulsive Details]

The best part - the LP sounds THE SAME all the way across - no inner groove distortion. BTW, there are several linear-trackers with standard-mount headshells, for dialing-in purposes.
    I have always liked linear trackers. My first was a AR XA with a Rabco Sl-8E linear arm. The Rabco co. sold out to HK and they put out
    a few with a cheaper Rabco design than the SL-8E. I think the market went nuts with Linears after that. A few great ones and a bunch
    of mid fi ones.
    I'm using a Phase Linear Linear now and it has every adjustment needed to dial it in. Awesome table but takes patience to get it right.

Glad to see Laz you are getting into Bi-amping. I would like to see your next move into Active crossovers. I think you are getting the
    feel on how much dynamics and sound stage change for the better.
    Last edited by JustMike; 12-02-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
    I have always liked linear trackers. My first was a AR XA with a Rabco Sl-8E linear arm. The Rabco co. sold out to HK and they put out
    a few with a cheeper Rabco design the the SL-8E. I think the market went nuts with Linears after that. A few great ones and a bunch
    of mid fi ones.
    I'm using a Phase Linear Linear now and it has every adjustment needed to dial it in. Awesome table but takes patience to get it right.

Glad to see Laz you are getting into Bi-amping. I would like to see your next move into Active crossovers. I think you are getting the
    feel on how much dynamics and sound stage change for the better.
    Some years ago I had one of those HK/Rabco units. It needed fiddling-with all the time, and I got rid of it. I don't see the turntable as being so important anymore, as it simply spins the LP and holds the all-important transducer - the phono cartridge.