Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new AKG K701 headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    I'm sooo confused......I went and looked & the NEW K701's are priced from $160.00 to $450.00 ? That's a pretty wide range. Are their differences?

I really like the sound of my Grado's, but I HATE the yoke type cord & I can't keep them on my head. ( And I've been told it's quite large).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...G+K701&_sop=16
    Like anything great, the Chinese are ripping off counterfeits, beware! Ask the US sellers for pics of the bottom of the box UPC codes, contact AKG http://www.akg.com/ for info!! I paid around $225 for mine, worth much more for what you will hear !!

They also like some juice to really sing, I'm not familiar with your Sony, you might need a dedicated amp for them, that brings up the cost much more! I'd eat ramin noodles and cheap mac n cheese to get the level of sound these bad boys give you!! Seriously! Hit the head-fi forums and others.

And give them time to settle, they are not kidding about 300 hours of use!! Have you ever turned on one of your vintage SS components and heard harsh things, then, just like magic, everything warmed up and it all jelled?? Your jaw dropped! Kinda like that! Very, very comfortable 'phones, barely feel them
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

Journeyman Member
    ---I run with Scissors

I'm very curious about any tech item
    I presume they are very good phones .
    I have Koss ESP 9 ( perfect but confort it's an optional ) , AKG 240 studio monitor ( superb ) and
    Sennheiser Hd 414 ( very good ) .
    Ciao
    Marco

Brad, your Sony is a great piece! Similar to my old Marantz 2270 spec wise. Unfortunately, the headphone output is rarely talked about in specs. My old beloved SAE P102 preamp couldn't drive half the crappy earbuds out there now, SAE amps don't have jacks for 'phones. AKG's like a nice, tight amp with high damping factor, wide freq response and of course, low distortion

I've played with 'phone amps from $200 to $500 and they all have their story to tell!! I love the 'Little Dot 1+' I mentioned earlier for certain recordings, most if I had nothing else...tube glow and superb headphones

Marco and some others mentioned the K240 studio's and others, get thee to the nunnery, or your nearest AKG dealer, these are amazing transducers!!
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha