Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurrected Customized WOPL 400

---
    Quote Originally Posted by scottonnob View Post
    Sorry, I didn't make the situation clear. My amp is one of the very early 400s that uses a system completely different from the one they switched to later. The meters are lit from above and through the lens. In fact, the socket strips were glued to the faceplate weird. I already talked with Joe about this, and he said his set-up definitely will not work on my model. They are different brand meters, and Joe's website clearly states that the kit he has will not work with models of my vintage. These old fuse-type bulbs are junk. I bought new bulbs and even the new ones are very dim.
    fuse style LED are very much available, even custom sizes, colors and voltages. I saw a pic of a PL5000 from a member here who had LEDs in it (5000's use fuse style lamps) and he gave me the ebay link to the seller :
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+LAMP&_sacat=0

just message the seller and tell him what size in diameter, size in length, led color and operating voltage of the circuit. he will of course tell you what he needs but it was a painless process and I think he only charged me for 10 when I needed 13...
    First Watt B1 Buffer Preamp
    Phase Linear 2000
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak Control board,light board, Caps and Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Pioneer PL-530
    Teac A-3300-SX

---
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTonScoutII View Post
    fuse style LED are very much available, even custom sizes, colors and voltages. I saw a pic of a PL5000 from a member here who had LEDs in it (5000's use fuse style lamps) and he gave me the ebay link to the seller :

just message the seller and tell him what size in diameter, size in length, led color and operating voltage of the circuit. he will of course tell you what he needs but it was a painless process and I think he only charged me for 10 when I needed 13...
    Yeah, I've seen this guy before. I'm wondering how bright the LEDs would be at the voltage delivered to the sockets. Any idea?

Survived the Thomas fire

I was looking for these but had forgotten who the seller was. The link I posted was to stimulate ideas and I'm glad you posted the link. Quacoaudio has come up in a number of my searches and he has a high satisfaction rating.

Yeah, I've seen this guy before. I'm wondering how bright the LEDs would be at the voltage delivered to the sockets. Any idea?
    Ask him. He has four voltage levels specified for these.
    If you get offended by the jokes and comments on here, go ahead and blame your parents... for raising a pussy.

---
    http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/album...chmentid=16894

This is the members photo I was referring to, as you can see they are bright.
    First Watt B1 Buffer Preamp
    Phase Linear 2000
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak Control board,light board, Caps and Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Pioneer PL-530
    Teac A-3300-SX

---
    http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/album...chmentid=16894

This is the members photo I was referring to, as you can see they are bright.
    Okay, good. That the way I'm going to go. Thanks for the input.

---

Bias Transistors

Okay, I'm ready to accept the award for dumbest question of the day, but I'm finished with my backplane boards, other than installing the bias transistors. The question is, which set of holes am I supposed to use to mount the components? There are two sets of holes. I've gone over the literature and can't seem to figure this out. Additionally, I'm not clear as to how my four fin chassis factors into the mounting of the bias transistors. Joe's instructions say that the mounting hole is a bit different on the early models. But I'm unclear how to make provisions for the mounting differences as I install the transistors in their clips.

Survived the Thomas fire
    As you've noticed the PL 400 Backplane Board has two mounting hole sets for the bias transistor. The set you connect to is dependent on the bias transistor that you have. Since transistors are fabricated differently the ECB orientation can change and Joe allowed for that on the both the 400 and 700 boards. The silkscreen indicates that the hole set closet to the transistor body is for a 3403 (2N3403) transistor and the one furthest away is for the 5088 (2N5088).
    If you get offended by the jokes and comments on here, go ahead and blame your parents... for raising a pussy.

Survived the Thomas fire
    The four finned PL 400 amps did not have good configuration management - hence the mechanical deltas you're seeing. The controller boards for the four finned amps are held in place differently that the eight finned units so...you'll need to get the standoffs properly located/aligned.

---
    Dennis,

Thanks for the input, but I'm still not certain how I'm supposed to mount the transistors. From the photo I'm including, you can compare the two sides and see that the mounting holes on the boards don't line up anywhere near the original mounting area. You can see that the chassis hole, which I stuck a black socket head cap screw into for easy identification, is significantly up and to the left, compared to the hole on the board. So I'm guessing the thing to do is solder wires into the board and run them to the transistor which would be mounted in it's original spot. Except that, I don't think there's enough space behind the board to have the clip mounted underneath. Of course, drilling new holes in the chassis would be the easiest solution. I just want to make certain that whatever solution I settle on doesn't have some unintended consequences. Scott

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOAPL Buildout  63.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	26897

Survived the Thomas fire
    Scott,

Check out this thread on a four finned amp - Lee added a butt ton of photos and some info for locating the standoffs. This should help.

http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showt...opl-Conversion
    Last edited by NavLinear; 10-26-2016 at 09:49 PM.