Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Scalla industrials

---there is no replacement for displacement

La Scalla industrials

Found these on my local CL, I am in process of turning my "mid-fi" system into a "hi-fi" system and just asking for an opinions here.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/5767866687.html

Not the best looking but how would they compare to the home version? He thinks they are from the late 80's. I think this is the direction I want to go with loudspeakers and have seen plans to build them from scratch.

Thoughts on pricing for this particular pair and general thoughts if they are 25-30 years old?Thoughts on building from scratch? Component cost and availability?

Any input is always appreciated!!!

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    All replacement drivers and crossovers can be had from Bob Crites @ Crites speakers....not a bad speaker either...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    25-30 years old should not be held against them. Crossovers could use a rebuild but that doesn't amount to much. If local pickup then demo those buggers!!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    I have some pretty ugly speaks.....until you fire em up.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161016_130943.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	26814  

---
    Never seen these industrial version before. I prefer the look of those than the wood to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    And an evening sitting on the bed getting your hair parted by a WOPL.....

Thanks everyone.

I checked out the Bob Crites site (thanks Lee) to price out components, looks like new components depending on which crossover option you get would be around $1200 (plus shipping) and that would be without a cabinet ($200 material plus some labor) so would guess a sub $1500 build and all new components but then add labor (or beer money in my case to use a buddies wood shop).

these still could be an option but would have to demo them and expect to rebuild at least the aging crossover first.

Administrator
    There's only a couple caps in those crossovers that might need some attention...

Administrator
    On speaker caps, just check em with an ESR meter and go, not that much to a crossover, resistors are easy to check....

---
    I have no experience with the La Scala personally but literally everyone tells me that they are lacking in the low end of the bass. If you are considering just building Cornscala I would go that way, seems to me that they are better anyway.
    Phase Linear 2000 - Brown dog OP amp
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak caps and light board, Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Technics SL-D303
    Pioneer PL-530

I will look at the Cornscalla's also. My preference for music is less bass heavy anyway. HT I like more bass but these will be for a separate 2 channel dedicated music system.