Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Player buying advice needed.

Journeyman Member
    ---

Record Player buying advice needed.

I am leaning towards a Technics SL 1400 because there is one for sale close to me for $150. What old Technics players are good and what ones suck? I was told by a vinyl junkie to find an old Technics and replace the cartridge if needed and it will work great. I was pretty shocked to have him tell me that after listening to his $25,000 speakers and $20,000 record player.

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
    Those Technics turntables can be very good, if in good condition. The SL 1400 should be direct drive, so there is one thing to check on: cogging. A little is normal, but watch those dots at the edge of the platter. If they dance back and forth too much, it is evidence of excessive cogging, and so, look for another table. I got rid of my beloved SL 1500 for that reason.

In case you don't know, cogging is the result of motor poles. As the platter turns, it is pushed at some points in its rotation, and coasts at other points. The speed difference between the push and the coast is the cogging. Too much will smear the musical notes.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

I would not necessarily fault the DD for that. A cap is bound to be involved or even the bearings.
    When it is your birthday, think of your mother and be good to her. They LIED to her when they told her to keep pushing, it will be over shortly...

​As I wrote the above post I thought someone would disagree with me.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Technics makes a solid TT. I have 2 SL1200 Mk2 and they work reliably and accurately.

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    There are so many under-the-radar turntables, it would make your head spin which ones don't get the notoriety they deserve. I picked up an Hitachi PS-58 turntable, yesterday. Hooked it up today to the big Pioneer SX-1980 receiver. I haven't even bothered upgrading the cartridge, yet. Picked it up for $200. Going through some of the 80's 12" 45s I have.

Nando.

​The Hitachi turntables are non-cogging. That is what "Uni-Torque" means.

Hello BigSky, listen and look for what Laz says on these older Technics, they can be fine and last for years. If you are in no hurry, something may turn up later my friend. Maybe a Thorens??

Nando, Niiiiice! Very cool! Love ya playin' the old 80's goodies
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

Journeyman Member
    ---
    Found a Technics sl 1300 that has motor issues for $50. Not sure how hard or expensive a motor is to put in. I was told to stay away from Thorens and Bang and olfussen. I found a bang and olfussen at pawn shop but I think they wanted a lot of money for it.

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
    Technics makes a solid TT. I have 2 SL1200 Mk2 and they work reliably and accurately.
    Yep, I use one also w/ a Ortofon MC20 Super II, no complaints whatsoever
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car