Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misadventures in Bi-Amping

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black

Misadventures in Bi-Amping

I tried biwiring a while back - no big improvement. Went back to single wire. Now, with all the amps I currently own, I decided to biamp. I already had this Yamaha DSP-A2070, and then scored a Yamaha A/V receiver at a sale the other day. There was wire enough, so the 100 wpc receiver for the highs, the DSP (80 wpc) for the lows - it has great bottom end. I set them both up to run off the Acoustat preamp.

Sound: a bit disjointed, not integrated top to bottom, a bit flat, distant, veiled. The A/V unit is a bit noisy, I have no way to know if the units are level-matched. So...it's back to single amp, single wire, either the Cyrus or the Luxman. End report.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

Victim of the record bug since age five
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus Short View Post
    I tried biwiring a while back - no big improvement. Went back to single wire. Now, with all the amps I currently own, I decided to biamp. I already had this Yamaha DSP-A2070, and then scored a Yamaha A/V receiver at a sale the other day. There was wire enough, so the 100 wpc receiver for the highs, the DSP (80 wpc) for the lows - it has great bottom end. I set them both up to run off the Acoustat preamp.

Sound: a bit disjointed, not integrated top to bottom, a bit flat, distant, veiled. The A/V unit is a bit noisy, I have no way to know if the units are level-matched. So...it's back to single amp, single wire, either the Cyrus or the Luxman. End report.
    Think about that- your woofers have large diameter voice coils around a large magnet. Big cone. Moves a large volume of air. This requires more current.
    Tweeters/mids are much smaller diameter coils, move the cones/domes back and forth with a much smaller excursion. Current demand is less.

Use the higher wattage amp for the lows and the smaller wattage amp for the highs and see if there's a difference. (The difference you state is only 20watts, actually I don't expect there to be much difference, but just give it a shot for shits 'n' giggles...)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkWComer View Post
    Think about that- your woofers have large diameter voice coils around a large magnet. Big cone. Moves a large volume of air. This requires more current.
    Tweeters/mids are much smaller diameter coils, move the cones/domes back and forth with a much smaller excursion. Current demand is less.

Use the higher wattage amp for the lows and the smaller wattage amp for the highs and see if there's a difference. (The difference you state is only 20watts, actually I don't expect there to be much difference, but just give it a shot for shits 'n' giggles...)
    I was aware of the wattage thing, and meant to use the Luxman A-007 (50 wpc) for the highs. It has a preamp out, and I can use the big Yamaha as a power amp. I still don't know how I would level-match. I think I will try that, however, so's I can avoid having the signal go through a pre and then an integrated.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]

Always learning!
    I bi-wire with a good jumper cable (mids to highs) only to get rid of the jumper bars B&W supplies. There was a noticeable difference. System sounds good to my 60+ year old ears. I doubt if bi-amping would make a noticeable difference to my ears.
    Oppo BDP-83, Pro-Ject 1Xpression III, Pro-Ject Speed Box S, Cambridge Audio Azur 651P, Acurus L10, LL WOPL 400, B & W 808's.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Depends on the crossover Dave....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

SUCCESS!!!
    Well, I could have done this months ago - I set up the Luxman A-007 to use its internal DAC instead of the DAC in the Denon DVD player (I'll A/B those later), and to power the mids and highs. I connected the Luxman's pre-outs to the main-in inputs of the Yamaha DSP-A2070, to power the woofers. This eliminated a lot of circuitry, and I got to use only one volume pot, as the Yamaha is working as a power amp. Thus the 50 wpc of the Luxman adds to the 80 wpc of the Yamaha, and my ears can sense the increase in power. Everything I said about my previous attempt is reversed - the sound seems (to my ears) integrated from top to bottom, coherent, immediate, clear and crisp. I got to hear the B&W 802's the other day at a local audio salon ($21,000), so I may be just a bit critical of my system, but it does sound better. I've listened to Varttina and Radio Tarifa so far, and percussion is great.

Spare me from your need of emotional rescue
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus Short View Post
    SUCCESS!!!
    Well, I could have done this months ago - I set up the Luxman A-007 to use its internal DAC instead of the DAC in the Denon DVD player (I'll A/B those later), and to power the mids and highs. I connected the Luxman's pre-outs to the main-in inputs of the Yamaha DSP-A2070, to power the woofers. This eliminated a lot of circuitry, and I got to use only one volume pot, as the Yamaha is working as a power amp. Thus the 50 wpc of the Luxman adds to the 80 wpc of the Yamaha, and my ears can sense the increase in power. Everything I said about my previous attempt is reversed - the sound seems (to my ears) integrated from top to bottom, coherent, immediate, clear and crisp. I got to hear the B&W 802's the other day at a local audio salon ($21,000), so I may be just a bit critical of my system, but it does sound better. I've listened to Varttina and Radio Tarifa so far, and percussion is great.
    Awesome. Glad to see you found a combo that works and that you hear the difference.
    | WOPL | Sony ES | B&W | Rotel | MoFi | AT | Denon | SoundMagic | Ultrasone | Cobalt Cable | PS Audio | Signet | Oppo |

‘We Fulfilled Far More Promises than We Promised’ ********************** Excellent Political Journalism Died when Tim Russert Did.

Always learning!
    Holeeeey Shiiiit....they want $21,000 for 802's now!!!!
    Oppo BDP-83, Pro-Ject 1Xpression III, Pro-Ject Speed Box S, Cambridge Audio Azur 651P, Acurus L10, LL WOPL 400, B & W 808's.

I'll be the first to admit I'm CHEAP, but then again I built many of my speakers.
    If it's Sunday Night, it's must be football and pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I'm CHEAP, but then again I built many of my speakers.
    I'm cheap too, and the furthest I ever got up the B&W food chain were the Matrix 805's, used at an auction. I'm suspecting that the B&W wafflebacks in the shop system may well sound better on the top end than the Vandersteens. Another A/B comparison in my future...