Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Misadventures in Bi-Amping

Life is short, so take your time
    DCX2496 Behringer
    I used to get lost in the shuffle, now I shuffle amongst the lost

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
    UPDATE

I moved some things around. The shop system moved a couple of yards away, and now consists of the Denon CDP and the Cyrus 2/PSX. The Cyrus amp sings, placed between the CDP and the B&W speakers - maybe it's the new speaker wire, some Monster in-wall stuff, which I strung along the ceiling.

That freed up the Arcam amp, which went into the main system to service the Vandersteen's mids and tweeters. It has more power than the Luxman and the sound is more seamless then ever, and I can hear gobs of detail on familiar music. I have to do without the Luxman's DAC, however.

That freed up the Luxman, which went upstairs to go in the office system. The Aiwa preamp and the Yamaha M-35 were both getting noisy, so the Lux is a blessing.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

Back to the bi-amping. I put together six cables with RCA's on one end and 1/4-inch phono plugs on the other. I decided against the IXOS cables - when I stripped off the outer insulation, I saw that the wires were already turning green. I fell back on the basic-quality interconnects, and ended up with two different cables and five different phono plugs. On the plus side, continuity checks are fine. I was going to post photos, but it looks like it would be easier to lift a photo off Facebook than off my own photos in Shotwell. It has been a problem since I went to 18.04/Bionic Beaver. Yeah, that's what they call it. Apple's photo software is much better. Next, I hook it all up and hope for better sound.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]

It works! Bass is deeper and more articulate. Mids and highs are clearer. I'm well pleased, and SOME songs now sound different in ways I can't explain. Others, about the same. I just wish I could post photos. The crossover, btw, is an Electro-Voice EVT EX-18 Tapco Electronic Crossover.

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    That's awesome Laz congrats!!!
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy, post: 11205733, member: 245918
    my eyes were forced shut by the air pressure change
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    The Red Knight Rules!!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

I thank you both!

Signal goes into the Yamaha DSP amp as before, but now the pre-amp signal goes to the electronic crossover, then out from that back to the Yamaha's power amp section for the bass (<500 cps), and to the Proton AA-1150 for the > 500 cps signal. That is my second AA-1150, as I foolishly sold my first one years ago.