Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Misadventures in Bi-Amping

"Just Passin thru"
    Hi Laz.
    Just found this thread. How is the Bi-amp system going? I was curious as to what crossover/divider network
    you are using.
    cheers
    jM

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
    Hi Laz.
    Just found this thread. How is the Bi-amp system going? I was curious as to what crossover/divider network
    you are using.
    cheers
    jM
    Hey Mike, I just now stumbled onto my old thread, and saw your post. The wonder of this set-up is that I'm NOT using a crossover or divider network, except what's internal to the speakers. Those things are hard to find, and expen$ive when found. I need to run some frequency sweeps to make sure I've got the whole frequency spectrum, but it sounds good to my ears. How are things in mid-MO?

DD
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

---
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Depends on the crossover Dave....
    I'm fairly ignorant to Bi-amping but one would want to have a digital active cross over to utilize it to it's potential. correct?
    First Watt B1 Buffer Preamp
    Phase Linear 2000
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak Control board,light board, Caps and Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Pioneer PL-530
    Teac A-3300-SX

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTonScoutII View Post
    I'm fairly ignorant to Bi-amping but one would want to have a digital active cross over to utilize it to it's potential. correct?
    Active.... definitely. Digital.... typically a learning curve and computer interface. But, digital can be extremely flexible. Check out some of miniDSP units. Specifically the 2x4, 2x8 and 4x10. (2x4 may not have enough output)

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box

Use their mic for calibration. Easier to find your starting point this way.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1

I posted this on another thread a few days ago:

Well, I finally found one of the speaker widgets for the Nuvo amp, and hooked it up. I liked it at first, but paired with the JBL's and their titanium tweeters, it was hard on the ears. This amp is crisp to a fault, and leading-edge transients are hard, hard, HARD. Also, vocals tend to get drowned out by instruments. It was tested by the FYEO tech's at 70 wpc, and it sounds like it has more power than that, but hardly gets warm. I think I'll try it out for woofer duty on the Vandersteen's.

EDIT: Maybe the big surprise of the session was the preamp I used - a smallish Aiwa C30 which I picked up at a flea market with some other Aiwa gear for twenty bucks. I had not powered it up for years. It was clean, the volume pot was not scratchy and it sounded good. Too bad I have it promised to someone...

Today, I hooked up the Nuvo in place of the Yamaha, to power the woofer section of the Vandersteens, and let me tell you, this amp walks all over the two grand, DSP Yamaha! Bass is more articulate, and not by a little either, and the decay of notes is, well, notable. Even the non-bass sounds better, and I think it's a matter of being able to hear details formerly hidden by not-so-clean bass. I think that class-D amp will be in my system for a long time.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]

---
    I have been thinking of bi or tri amping as well. I have a WOPL 1000, a stockish PL 400, and the internal amp in my SX-950.

My speakers are Ohm model Is, they are capable of bi-amping with a selector switch and two sets of binding posts per speaker.

However they currently sound fantastic with the single WOPL 1000. It is certainly loud enough, the only benefit I may gain is the cool factor of bi-amping.

Still trying to decide if I should go down the road or not.

Well, here I am a few months later. The NUVO got replaced by a Denon POA-2400A, but the rig was bass-heavy with 200 wpc to the woofers. Tonight, I put the Yamaha DSP amp back to woofer duty and inserted the Luxman A-007 for the mids & tweets. Fifty wpc for the Lux and 80 for the Yamaha, and things seems more balanced. The Denon's speaker terminals had broken, and were not in the best shape when I horse-traded for it. I'll need to listen to more music to decide if this will do...

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Good job Laz....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Life is short, so take your time
    Berhinger makes a great affordable digital crossover that has all the bells and whistles that you will ever need. around 300 bucks for it
    I used to get lost in the shuffle, now I shuffle amongst the lost

Quote Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
    Berhinger makes a great affordable digital crossover that has all the bells and whistles that you will ever need. around 300 bucks for it
    Thanks - I'll check that out. So far, I'm getting a bit less bass slam, but better balance across the audio spectrum.