Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from East Texas. Hamfist mechanic attempting PL repairs

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtywerk View Post
    Thanks. I just want sound coming out of both channels so they'll be easier to sell. A pair of Bose 901's were stored with them so will have in-line fuses attached to their cords in case the 400 goes berserk. I was wondering where to shoot contact cleaner inside the dials and switches since they appear to be sealed up.
    They are equally easy to sell on Ebay, working or not working.

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    Stock 400s working or not sell for around close the same price usually. Cosmetics dictate end value more then anything else with them. Most people buy these 400s knowing full well they need to be upgraded so working or not (unless completely serviced) means not a lot. You never know what your going to see inside from a "serviced" amp LMAO!!! You might notice if you look that we have 100s of lurkers here daily who are looking at info the White Oak repair kits and upgrades and the amp builds themselves for those tackling the project

Not sure what kind of return your looking for but your looking at $200 in parts minimum to safely get the amp running (new power caps and a DCP). Then prey the kids did not fry the outputs or control board. As for the 4000, that is a very complicated beastie and most techs run screaming from them if it is a series I. You should also check the 901's, you may be in for a additional expense surprise if the surrounds are shot on the 9 little woofers in each speaker. You should also have a small Bose EQ that you need to even use those speakers (not a regular audio eq!!!)

Don't take my post wrong in anyway, just my opinion. This is a deal where if you are looking to make decent money, your probably going to have to spend some decent money. We can offer advice and tips, in the end, it's up to you what path you want to take
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car

If it's not broken fix it anyway
    My vote is if you just want too sell them then leave them alone and sell them as is... myself I would rather buy one unmolested knowing I will go through it and do it right then buy one that has been "partly" molested by an unknown... but hey thats just me

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by roccus View Post
    My vote is if you just want too sell them then leave them alone and sell them as is... myself I would rather buy one unmolested knowing I will go through it and do it right then buy one that has been "partly" molested by an unknown... but hey thats just me
    I think that is the sentiment of most Ray...

New Around These Parts
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
    Stock 400s working or not sell for around close the same price usually. Cosmetics dictate end value more then anything else with them. Most people buy these 400s knowing full well they need to be upgraded so working or not (unless completely serviced) means not a lot. You never know what your going to see inside from a "serviced" amp LMAO!!! You might notice if you look that we have 100s of lurkers here daily who are looking at info the White Oak repair kits and upgrades and the amp builds themselves for those tackling the projectNot sure what kind of return your looking for but your looking at $200 in parts minimum to safely get the amp running (new power caps and a DCP). Then prey the kids did not fry the outputs or control board. As for the 4000, that is a very complicated beastie and most techs run screaming from them if it is a series I. You should also check the 901's, you may be in for a additional expense surprise if the surrounds are shot on the 9 little woofers in each speaker. You should also have a small Bose EQ that you need to even use those speakers (not a regular audio eq!!!)Don't take my post wrong in anyway, just my opinion. This is a deal where if you are looking to make decent money, your probably going to have to spend some decent money. We can offer advice and tips, in the end, it's up to you what path you want to take
    The Pl's are Series 1 and so are the 901's which have the paper surrounds. I have their EQ but am unable to use it with the speakers attached to my Aiwa receiver. The speakers sound just fine (no highs nor lows so must be Bose). The PL's and their walnut cabinets still look like new with a little discoloration on the big dials from hand oil or lotion residue. The 901's cabinets are in great shape except for a few corners where a dusting rag snagged the veneer and pulled off a tiny piece not long after their purchase. That can be concealed using a shellac stick. I will be trying to sell the PL's, 901's along with my nice Pioneer PL-51 turntable on EBay before attempting any DIY repairs. Have been trying to sell them since April 1st. at my estate sale as a system for $1100 or separately (PL's for $400, 901's w/EQ for $450, PL-51 for $250) without receiving any counter-offers so might as well try reaching a larger market. I have an inkling they won't sell due to shipping costs so will wind up attempting repairs anyways.

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    I am pretty sure if your offering the PL pair for $400, they are an easy sell here

The 901s are getting no justice, they sound like shit without the EQ which actually acts as a crossover unit
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car

---
    Yep, 901's gotta have that EQ. Likely the EQ needs a recap as well.

You can run the EQ through a tape loop on an integrated unit. Proper set up will improve sound quality with 901's. I prefer the suspended set up as I find they sound best in the air.
    And an evening sitting on the bed getting your hair parted by a WOPL.....

---
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaH View Post
    Yep, 901's gotta have that EQ. Likely the EQ needs a recap as well.

You can run the EQ through a tape loop on an integrated unit. Proper set up will improve sound quality with 901's. I prefer the suspended set up as I find they sound best in the air.

They are notably better in the air to my ear and I was so happy to not fight over the reflecting space with my wife.

OP: i don't think there is a scenario where you make more money by working on them, as stated before the 4000 is quite a project and the 400 will be almost completely rebuild so it wouldn't make sense to pay you to "fix" the amp only to tear everything out again.

cosmetics are the only thing anyone really cares about in these amps

I wouldn't pay $400 for a non-working 400 and 4000... certainly not with out cabinets.
    Phase Linear 2000 - Brown dog OP amp
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak caps and light board, Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Technics SL-D303
    Pioneer PL-530

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtywerk View Post
    The Pl's are Series 1 and so are the 901's which have the paper surrounds. I have their EQ but am unable to use it with the speakers attached to my Aiwa receiver. The speakers sound just fine (no highs nor lows so must be Bose). The PL's and their walnut cabinets still look like new with a little discoloration on the big dials from hand oil or lotion residue. The 901's cabinets are in great shape except for a few corners where a dusting rag snagged the veneer and pulled off a tiny piece not long after their purchase. That can be concealed using a shellac stick. I will be trying to sell the PL's, 901's along with my nice Pioneer PL-51 turntable on EBay before attempting any DIY repairs. Have been trying to sell them since April 1st. at my estate sale as a system for $1100 or separately (PL's for $400, 901's w/EQ for $450, PL-51 for $250) without receiving any counter-offers so might as well try reaching a larger market. I have an inkling they won't sell due to shipping costs so will wind up attempting repairs anyways.
    They will sell fast on Ebay, esp if you have the walnut cases for the PL gear. You may want to sell the cases separate from the gear to fetch a higher total sale price.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Post some pics of the gear.......
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014