Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undead Kenwood Subwoofer

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black

Undead Kenwood Subwoofer

If you remember my post about the moving sale and all the colored/picture vinyl I bought, you might remember that I scored a powered sub for five bucks. I figured it was probably dead, and this evening I was able to test it, and it WAS dead. I took off the plate amp from the back, to find a plastic baffle under it - cut the leads to the driver, tested (8 ohms), so it's not completely dead. I put the amp section aside, noting that nothing was obviously blown, and the two internal fuses were OK. The good news is that I have a NHT subwoofer amp, so I'm going to connect that directly to the driver, and it should work. Some damping should probably be slathered on the plastic baffle.

While I was at it I took the JBL's out of the shop system and put in the B&W DM302's. I really prefer the soft-dome tweeters of the B&W's to the titanium tweets of the JBL's. I think I will avoid titanium tweets in the future...
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    A little harsh eh??
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Ya, a little harsh. I wish I had my old L-15's - they were sweet (and modded). Or were they L-19's? Too many years ago...
    Last edited by Lazarus Short; 07-17-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    I had a set of JBL L166's back in the 70's. I think these were the first titanium tweeters JBL came out with. I'm with you.... never did care for those metal dome tweeters and steered clear since then. Just sounded too harsh for my liking. This was when I had 20 year old ears! I'd probably love them now that I can't hear for shit.

http://audio-database.com/JBL/speaker/l166-e.html

Well, the woofer is fine, but the NHT subwoofer amp is defective: noise, noise, noise.

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    Depending upon the model, you can likely find a schematic on the NHT site.

http://www.nhthifi.com/pages/downloads

I'm pretty sure they have techs that will repair that sub amp if you want. Probably not worth it unless it's the SA3 big dog.

News! Or is that "gnus"? Anyway, I connected the subwoofer-out of the Yamaha receiver to one of the Marantz 16 subunits, and connected the Marantz to the Kenwood sub. It works, and for fifteen bucks!

Administrator
    Serendipitous!!!!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Always learning!
    Lookee dat.....Laz always brings out the literary best in all of us!!
    Oppo BDP-83, Pro-Ject 1Xpression III, Pro-Ject Speed Box S, Cambridge Audio Azur 651P, Acurus L10, LL WOPL 400, B & W 808's.

Administrator
    Of course he does, he's a class act!!!