Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever run Magneplanar Speakers?

If it's not broken fix it anyway

Anyone ever run Magneplanar Speakers?

Anyone here ever use Magneplaner speakers with their PL amps? The first time I ever hear these speakers or a PL amp was in a stereo store show room in the early 70's when I was out in CA. where they had them set up together.. I'm thinking it might have been a 700b amp but might have been a 400. Long time ago brain gets fuzzy lol But I remember the setup almost literally blew my shoes off!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNEPAN-MG-...cAAOSwJkJWiBtW

Quote Originally Posted by roccus View Post
    Anyone here ever use Magneplaner speakers with their PL amps? The first time I ever hear these speakers or a PL amp was in a stereo store show room in the early 70's when I was out in CA. where they had them set up together.. I'm thinking it might have been a 700b amp but might have been a 400. Long time ago brain gets fuzzy lol But I remember the setup almost literally blew my shoes off!

Being as they are built in Minnesota Iv'e probably had a dozen chances to grab a pair but my room size just wouldn't work, I have listened to them thru a Quad 405 and thought they lacked a little low end those 3as are supposed to be some of their best
    Turning Pristine Audio Gear into Junk One unit at a Time

Journeyman Member
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by roccus View Post

I bought a pair of Magnepan MG IIs to repair and flip a few years ago. They are a serious pain in the rear to rewire. Anyhow, I played them for a couple weeks with my WOPL 400. I liked the Maggies a lot, but my wife hated them as much as I liked them. I didn't try them with any other amps so I cannot compare how they sounded on the WOPL versus other amps. But, the WOPL and Magnepan pairing was very nice.

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    I ran my MG-I's with a 125 wpc receiver and would have liked a little more power. The sound is magical when working right!! I don't know if you'll ever hear a better midrange from Maggies or electrostatics. Maybe that's a dipole thing. Probably a low WAF due to their need for placement into the room. They're imposing.

Before you jump in, read thru this post. It'll give you an idea what to look for and what's involved if repairs are needed. I don't know that I'd buy a pair of old Maggies at this point, even if they didn't need repair. I especially wouldn't buy them w/o listening to them first.

http://www.opus45.com/magnepan/

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    Yeah, Maggies are a speaker I will never own, too much hassle to maintain/rebuild. I'd rather have a pair of 15" 3-ways any day
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    After hearing Craig's Martin Logans,o I could see owning a pair of those someday...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Maggies are pretty cool speakers, the later models have many followers, my buddy Tom has some. He's a die-hard tube guy and has a custom built amp that uses some NOS 300B's from the 1930's for low level sessions and a monster 200wpc made in China for serious jams. I like them.

They are a different sound though from my ML's, even though they seem the same on paper, very different beasts! They both need lot's of room around them, both will be noticed in a room. Maggies reproduce bass from the panel (they don't do it for me in that aspect). My Summits have dual powered dynamic 10' woofers and, while not up to what Lee and other bass fiends like they are just fine for me. Maggies also present a very different load on an amp. I'm sure a WOPL can handle the load. IMHO, you need at least 200wpc to make them really sing, and they can suck about as much as my Summits on peaks...like 500wpc. I'm talking very loud here.

I don't think the soundstage is as pronounced as my Summits but, that might have to do with my buds placement and amp/pre? I think the ML line is beyond reproach as far as midrange clarity and speed, 'Logans are fast, fast, Fast! I've never heard another speaker that match that speed. Even my buddy jumped when certain passages of his fav classical Lps were played. He still loves his Maggies, I love my ML's.

I suggest finding a pair to listen to again since it's been awhile. Happy listening!!
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

Here ya go roccus! A bud over on the MLO forum is selling his CLSIIz's these are huge, he's only asking $3,000. If they don't sell he's not in a hurry! Located in Tampa FL, buy a cheap flight down, rent a truck to drive them back, or pay to have them shipped!! These are serious monster ML's!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!12 CLXs.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	25762

I can get you in touch, I paid twice that for my Summits, these are much nicer...Drat!!!!
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    Amen on all that! I remember listening to my brother's Acoustats around the same time I had my Maggies. Both great speakers and while you got some similarities there were definite differences. Both power hungry monsters.

That's a screamin' deal on those ML's ! ! ! !

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    Here ya go roccus! A bud over on the MLO forum is selling his CLSIIz's these are huge, he's only asking $3,000. If they don't sell he's not in a hurry! Located in Tampa FL, buy a cheap flight down, rent a truck to drive them back, or pay to have them shipped!! These are serious monster ML's!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!12 CLXs.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	25762

I can get you in touch, I paid twice that for my Summits, these are much nicer...Drat!!!!

Dayam/#!####/
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014