Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone ever run Magneplanar Speakers?

---
    Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    Hey ScoutII, you need to play with them ( I know, it's not easy with 8' 100lb monoliths ) , while you may like the sound toe'd in slightly...I have my Summits the same way. But, not like others and the manual says to do, it depends on your room and what is behind them!! I'll give you some tips based on recorded music that I'll assume you have. If ya don't, you should be shot and quartered J/K

Pink Floyd ~ 'Wish You Were Here', title track, David should sound like he is sitting on a stool about 3' from the floor, dead center with his right hand finger picks, his left hand fret work slightly towards the right speaker, then moving to center when he slides down the fret.

Pink Floyd ~ 'The Wall', disc two , starting with track 9 'Run Like Hell' thru track 12 ' The Trial' , you should have wonderful center images with all kinds of batshit crazy stuff sounding from beyond where your side walls are, this what a sound stage should sound like when set up properly, the walls dissolve!

Get the center image right and have at a least 6' from the side walls on both and the magic will reveal things that make you say Day'um!!
    The placement is a little different than I suspected... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.27.12 AM.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	26823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.26.57 AM.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	26824

After playing with them they MUST be toe'd-in, the center image doesn't come together until they are or you are in the dining room behind the couch that is the listening position. Once that center image is there it does indeed make you say Dayum!

My room limits me to the long-way orientation of the room.
    in figure 4: the wide orientation, the right side speaker would be obstructed by the fire place which takes up the corner.

Moving the speakers further out in the room made a big difference too

Im still planning to build something cornscala like and that will take care of the "physically interactive sound levels " as Lee calls it. Im really enjoying these 2+2's and therefor I think the inherited pair of 901's will find duty elsewhere.
    Phase Linear 2000 - Brown dog OP amp
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak caps and light board, Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Technics SL-D303
    Pioneer PL-530

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Yep , nothing like a pair of "super k's" to thump you in the chest...
    Last edited by laatsch55; 10-17-2016 at 11:44 AM.
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

If it's not broken fix it anyway
    I also read on Magies that after you achieve best positioning of the speakers it you stand 6' away from them raise you left leg to balance on your right leg, put you left hand in your right pocket and your right hand in your left pocket, then look up at the ceiling you will increase your listening pleasure by 50%

Quote Originally Posted by roccus View Post
    I also read on Magies that after you achieve best positioning of the speakers it you stand 6' away from them raise you left leg to balance on your right leg, put you left hand in your right pocket and your right hand in your left pocket, then look up at the ceiling you will increase your listening pleasure by 50%

Don't know if that is "listening pleasure."

With magneplanars, once placed, walk between them forward and back to hear the bass peaks and dips. Position the listening position in one of the peaks.
    5F70, CS-6, MS-10, K-12, RX-103, T-110 x 2, K-112, D-117, K-117, G-120a, L-580, C-1000, R-1040, R-1050, R-1120 x 3, MB-3045 x 2

Always learning!
    Drink a couple Dragons Milk and sit anywhere...it'll sound just fine...
    Oppo BDP-83, Pro-Ject 1Xpression III, Pro-Ject Speed Box S, Cambridge Audio Azur 651P, Acurus L10, LL WOPL 400, B & W 808's.

No such things as bad days, just bad moments
    When I got my Kappa's, I fiddled with speaker placement for a couple of weeks trying to fine tune it. What I ended up with was needing to have one speaker about 2" farther in front that the other. I attributed that to a suspended slate hearth on that that side of the room. I live in a much smaller space these days and my listening position is far from dead center so I am less critical.

A co-worker had a pair of Beveridge - even said he visited the factory at the time his pair was under construction. Six foot tall coffins with a top to bottom vertical slot for an opening. I saw them but never heard them. My co-worker friend said you had to be directly in between them and seated. He claimed that by standing up, your head would poke above and out of whatever "soundfield" that made them special. He found that a bit too much to live with and sold them.

---
    Quote Originally Posted by 62vauxhall View Post
    When I got my Kappa's, I fiddled with speaker placement for a couple of weeks trying to fine tune it. What I ended up with was needing to have one speaker about 2" farther in front that the other. I attributed that to a suspended slate hearth on that that side of the room. I live in a much smaller space these days and my listening position is far from dead center so I am less critical.

A co-worker had a pair of Beveridge - even said he visited the factory at the time his pair was under construction. Six foot tall coffins with a top to bottom vertical slot for an opening. I saw them but never heard them. My co-worker friend said you had to be directly in between them and seated. He claimed that by standing up, your head would poke above and out of whatever "soundfield" that made them special. He found that a bit too much to live with and sold them.
    I read that is why the 2+2 was developed. with the models that have all the panels at ground level, there is apparently a horizontal beaming. It seems just as you described, sounds good while sitting but you stand and are above the sweet spot.
    Phase Linear 2000 - Brown dog OP amp
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak caps and light board, Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Technics SL-D303
    Pioneer PL-530

Since the 2+2's are a flat speaker, you will get beaming from the front and a small sweet spot. The sound coming from the back will open things up a bit, that's why playing with the position is so important, along with what is behind them.

As I've mentioned, all 'dipoles' are not the same, they all have placement requirements. I tried placing the Summits on the short wall and close to the side walls so I could sit back far enough to get the concert effect. That did not impress me. Great center image, shitty sound stage. Granted, the Summits have a curved 'stat panel which expands the front wave and compresses the back wave somewhat. Not ideal by any means!!

Mine need next to nothing on either side for at least 6' and at least 4' from the back wall, 5' would be ideal but, I don't have that kind of room with them on the long wall. Then they just Bloom. On certain recordings there are no walls, I'm sure your 2+2's are more than capiable of the same...get a back brace and some of your buddies plied with beer and keep moving them around !! I really think you need them on the long wall and about as far out in the room as your wife will tolerate buddy
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Not many wives will stand for 2 small monuments in the middle of the room....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014