Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever run Magneplanar Speakers?

Me too! I'll keep an eye out for another pair for you buddy! I'd love to hear what you can do with some!!!
    Documented SAE Fanatic

New owner of Martin Logan Summits, driven by the SAE A1001

It's always the beautiful ones that smash the picture ~ Teena Marie

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

I'll never get over you, you'll never get under me ~ A-Ha

To the bat cave 'stat boy wonder!!!! ~ Finebar4

If it's not broken fix it anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    Well, you have to keep the wife happy, sorry for trying to move you, remember, these old Maggies usually need work, are you up to that?

Is she up to having big panels far out in the room? If so, go boy!! You will be a happy camper!

~stu
    Actually she won't allow a monster stereo in the house.... but my shop is all mine!!! I really came so close to buying those this evening but it is not like I really need them now I have a pretty decent pair of big bad boys now and I'm thinking I would maybe rather find a 700B to do a WOPL and figure at this time the money would be better spent there... the planers are on the back burner for now but I see the day I will have some

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    I haven't heard the Magneplanars, but I have heard the Martin Logan CL SII panels in a Cassette Deck Shootout held at Innovative Audio in 2012. Beautiful definition, clarity, and stereo imaging, but a little bass-shy. These are $15K speakers.

Nando.

I seriously considered getting some Magnepans from HiFi Centre in Vancouver. But never ended up doing that because I don't have room for speakers this big. Those speakers we heard at the tapedeck shootout sounded very good indeed. I wonder if a sub would have helped?

Hookay, Nando's post show's how they look from the factory, my post shows what Dave did with lot's of blood/sweat & tears building custom cabinets for them.

I need to mention, he dropped the price to $1,500.00 so they would go to a good home, I missed that, shoulda,coulda, woulda!! F'n Hell!

Dang it Lee, we missed a wonderful opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back to Maggies...
    Documented SAE Fanatic

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    I would have done 1500 in a New York minute.
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    I would have done 1500 in a New York minute.
    I would have beat ya to it as well my friend!! Buy of the Century!!
    Documented SAE Fanatic

Huh? What?? Hmmmmmmm

---
    I just scored a pair of Acoustat 2+2 and pretty excited for my foray into electrostats, I have not hooked them up yet but I am expecting the interfaces to need a little help and upgrading to the C interface ( these are the 121-2a). I understand the panels themselves to be quite robust.

one of the towers was under the HVAC vent for 30 years apparently and it seems it was vacuumed weekly, as a result one grill cloth looks like burlap and the other is perfect... I've read that the OEM grill cloth is not as acoustically transparent as it should be and I would prefer a cream color to the black anyway. There is NO WAY I will get away with running them with out grill cloth, my wife was surprisingly cool with them in the living room. However I know for sure that the florescent light grid being visible would be a deal breaker. so some cloth will be needed.
    Phase Linear 2000 - Brown dog OP amp
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak caps and light board, Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Technics SL-D303
    Pioneer PL-530

If it's not broken fix it anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTonScoutII View Post
    I just scored a pair of Acoustat 2+2 and pretty excited for my foray into electrostats, I have not hooked them up yet but I am expecting the interfaces to need a little help and upgrading to the C interface ( these are the 121-2a). I understand the panels themselves to be quite robust.

one of the towers was under the HVAC vent for 30 years apparently and it seems it was vacuumed weekly, as a result one grill cloth looks like burlap and the other is perfect... I've read that the OEM grill cloth is not as acoustically transparent as it should be and I would prefer a cream color to the black anyway. There is NO WAY I will get away with running them with out grill cloth, my wife was surprisingly cool with them in the living room. However I know for sure that the florescent light grid being visible would be a deal breaker. so some cloth will be needed.
    Very nice bet your gonna love em when you get them done up

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTonScoutII View Post

Pics?????
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014