Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carver C-500 - valid candidate for White Oak Audio upgrade???

I love BIG amplifiers!

Carver C-500 - valid candidate for White Oak Audio upgrade???

From time to time one can find Carver C-500 amps on sale (here is a fine example of the amp -> https://youtu.be/LdySAN72XSM). It looks similar to a PL400II, but with more power at least on specs. There is also extra output transistor per bank (4 instead of 3), so more like PL700II backplane dimensions? The C-500 driver board is however visibly different from PL-36.

Apparently VAS works hotter vs PL400II. Higher voltage was implemented to expand bandwidth and increase slew rate. The PCB had as well DC in / speakers out protection circuit built in. The other key different feature in compare to PL400II was the fact that Carver C-500 was ‘internally phase-inverted’ in one channel allowing bridged operation, so you could run it mono (500W) just by using the two red / white posts, provided speakers’ impedance was watched and cooling present. Power outputs were normally marked as C1000 - not sure what they really are. On the pics attached, there are MJ15011, quasi topology. That gear could have been repaired.

The amp looks like WOPL upgrade ready. Does anybody have this model to check dimensions and spacing requirements? All in all it could be an additional power amplifier with WOA upgrade available, well maybe without the bridging option…

Your views?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carver C-500 manual.pdf   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT7991.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	20172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT7992.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	20173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT7995.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	20174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT7997.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	20175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT8001.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	20176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT8005_0001.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	20177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT8006_0001.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	20178  
    Last edited by P.L.F.; 04-14-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    ----
    WOPL 1000? Careful, careful, careful with that axe, Eugene.....

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    I think the question to begin with is "How many were sold"?? And go from there. The chassis are completely different, so anything but the driver board would be "ground up" development.
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
    They do look remarkably similar. The cylon eyes are cool how they react in the vid!
    "I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die"
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Yweblwrs...
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77
    The only toilet I have seen that didnt swirl was in a trailor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWOPLwhiffer View Post
    now I need a Dim Bulb Tester to test my Dim Bulb Tester
    An audiophile is someone who's stereo is worth more than his car

I love BIG amplifiers!
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    I think the question to begin with is "How many were sold"?? And go from there. The chassis are completely different, so anything but the driver board would be "ground up" development.
    Yes Lee, you are right. It is like a PL400 chassis with extra row for outputs. A different story... Pity..
    ----
    WOPL 1000? Careful, careful, careful with that axe, Eugene.....

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Yeah, kinda cool though....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Forum Veteran
    ---
    You can definitely see the similarity to a PL 700-II though. Looks like the inside chassis are is shrunken to the point where it would be obnoxious to work on.

New Around These Parts
    ---

More on the C-500 (moron?)

This is my first post, so be kind... Anyway, I picked up a C-500 at the local thrift, and it appears not to have been messed with. Hooked it up and verified working properly. Until it let all the steam out of one of the power supply caps. Sounded just like my espresso machine blowing the pressure relief valve. Easy to disassemble and I think the WOA capacitor upgrade would fit right in there, or if I could find a new home for the diode bridge, 2" diameter caps would seem to fit. From the descriptions I have read this does not need the output protection relay upgrade? Not sure. Also not sure if the driver board is the same as the PL400. Pics attached. Not really in order, but you get the idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8780.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	27693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8784.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	27694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8783.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	27695 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8779.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	27691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8781.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	27692

Sterling Vaden
    Black Mountain, NC

Screw it
    The 15,000uf 160V caps are pretty big, don't know if they'll fit or not. Here is the measurments:

Length 4.5" Dia 2.5" Circum. 8"

I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play

Always learning!
    Is our rep that bad that a new member asks us to "be kind"?

Check out this build....http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showt...-to-WOPL/page4
    Might be able to help your thought process. I'm sure someone will pop in soon to guide you also.

BTW - Welcome!
    Oppo BDP-83, Pro-Ject 1Xpression III, Pro-Ject Speed Box S, Cambridge Audio Azur 651P, Acurus L10, LL WOPL 400, B & W 808's.

Screw it
    Glen may have used the 400 style caps.
    I had the nations problems figured out one night while on blah blah blah........ huh?

Big amps
    Kenner Close N Play