Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BIG BOTTOM^2

---
    Hey guys, I just wanted to add one last thing to this thread. After all the changes these cabinets have been through and all the different amplifiers thrown at them, what I've learned is something that I've known for years from the hot rod/racing scene. That is that "there is no replacement for displacement".

After giving each band pass 850w, then giving the dual 15" cabinet 1200w, 1700w, then 3200w there was very little increase in output by adding power. By adding another cabinet with two more 15" drivers, each cabinet now receives 1200w (parallel wiring so each driver receives 600w) the increase in output is phenomenal. So much so that I had to dial the low frequency amp back 8dB to remain balanced tone wise. These PL amps were monsters to begin with and I can't wait to WOPL one, but think about adding drivers to go with all that power!

I guess you could relate it to a '69 396SS Camaro at the drag strip with slicks vs the same car with F78-14 bias plys...
    "Turn that jungle music down, 'least until we're outta town..." -D. Fagen

"I don't mind this and I don't mind that, but when it comes to this, fvck that" -Rodney Deagle

Originally Posted by laatsch55

"BTW....one of the few ways i HAVE NOT blown up a 400!!"

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    LMOAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

---
    Hey guys, been away for a while working at other stuff and real working also. A while back I over applied some "speaker lubricant" and had a melt down. Finally getting around to installing some recone kits. I've been real busy, worked 6 months straight with only 13 days off between July and the end of December, quit that company because of shit crew schedule and took a new job with a 40/20 rotation. It just happened to come with a raise and promotion . I've been working at my shop restoring an antique generator and some stationary engines also, just got to the point where the shop speakers weren't cutting the mustard. I had one of the blown speakers disconnected, didn't sound bad until the voice coil came free and started buzzing. That was the last straw, tear everything apart and fix it!

I'm gonna have to lurk as it's been a while
    since I checked in, probably lots to catch up on!

-Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2272.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	31575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	31576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2246.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	31577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	31578  

"I don't mind this and I don't mind that, but when it comes to this, fvck that" -Rodney Deagle

Quote Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post

DING!!!!
    Now THAT'S some fine dental work!
    If I don't really exist then at over 15,000 posts my nothingness has longevity, if not serious mojo.

---
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Now THAT'S some fine dental work!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	31579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2274.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	31580Here's one of the melted VC.

I think they must have have the same dentist...

---
    Finished all the glue work tonight. Had to make a little steam kettle... the cyanoacrylate didn't want to harden... pretty low humidity in the shop, so I boiled some water in that can and aimed the hose at the wet adhesive. It dried almost instantly. I will order a bottle of activator for the next two. Just the leads to solder tomorrow and dope the surround and cone then they're done. Will probably reassemble the cabinet when I return from work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2290.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	31582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2291.jpg 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	31583  
    Last edited by AngrySailor; 03-24-2018 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Autocorrect

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Very ingenious !!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014