Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Pioneer kit for the truck

---
    it looks fantastic in any case. myself, i'd prefer the original 1987 KEX-M700-based system, but that's just me.
    hope this rig (and the truck it is installed in) gives the OP many fine years of service to come...
    Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

---
    Back in the truck again. This Pioneer install has likely been one of the most problematic installs I have had, ever. After dickin around with the 4 channel amp all summer, it still wont behave as it should. Cracked solder joints on the inputs repaired, and 4 channels all working but a little volume causes it to cut out.

I finally found a cheap sub that will fit behind the seat of the truck. Pioneer Premiere 12". After much trial and error this aft, I came to these conclusions, Pioneer amp still aint working right, and my Tape deck also seems to be taking a shit. Eq was also misbehaving, but after re flowing the solder on the inputs, its back up and running fine.

So today's fun time friday activities were getting the Sub firing. Bah, knew it would have been a massive trouble shooting adventure. Stereo is functioning nice now but needs to be dialed in. Havent spent much time on the listening end, as cramming a guy in each side to work in the back of a single cab gets old fast.

So, the initial plan was, wire in the Alpine V12 to power the sub, add a capacitor and put the Pioneer amp back in, as I had repaired the bad joints last night. After much trial and error I ended up with, Pioneer in and out, replaced once again with a 2 channel Sony xplod amp. Shitty, because I really liked having the 4 channel separation from the eq, but now, simply having 2 channel, with 4 speakers. Eq out on the bench to repair solder joints, im assuming cold. Pioneer tape deck pulled and replaced with the Sony Xplod that was in the truck previously, as well as install the V12 and cap. T and I probably spent 3 to 4 hours in the back of the truck. Tony finally took off, and I mounted up all the gear. A serious wiring party is gonna have to happen as its even more complex back there now than ever. Another day maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    And an evening sitting on the bed getting your hair parted by a WOPL.....
    Trust in Allah, and tie up your camel.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Like rewiring a WOPL.....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Forum Veteran
    Once I get the handlebars properly shimmed and tight I can get to installing the NOS analog Supertuner II cassette in the Cycle Sound fairing on the crossbrace bar and finally get the Hondaline fairing set up and over that on my Rollfast.

Now, THERE'S some heavy fun!

---
    Let me know what your top speed is with 2 amps a cap and a sub.

Forum Veteran
    I will if I ever get a truck.

---
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaH View Post
    I dig the eq as well Ron. It was the main reason I bought it all. If the cassette doesnt operate as it should I will replace it with Pioneers current cassette deck.

After reading up on these, I am realizing I will need a 4 channel power amp as this head unit is not going to cut it. 15x4 wtf. I have 4 amps in the garage 2 800 watt sony amps, an Alpine V12, and a Fosgate Punch 250. All of them are 2/1, and I dont want to have to upgrade my wiring kit to accommodate 2 big amps. Plus my truck is much too small to start stacking up amps.
    That is a normal power amount for a head unit, even a current one wont be much more. I would never go back to powering my door speakers with the head unit.

gear looks good, enjoy
    Phase Linear 2000 - Brown dog OP amp
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak caps and light board, Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Technics SL-D303
    Pioneer PL-530

---
    Nice to see my thread Necro'd back up. Most cd units I have owned are upwards of 45x4. My xplod cd unit is 52x4. Either way, I prefer to power with an amp. Not that much of this matters these days as that truck is no longer on the road. I plan to remove all the stereo equipment at some point.

---
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaH View Post
    Nice to see my thread Necro'd back up. Most cd units I have owned are upwards of 45x4. My xplod cd unit is 52x4. Either way, I prefer to power with an amp. Not that much of this matters these days as that truck is no longer on the road. I plan to remove all the stereo equipment at some point.
    I guess I need to look at the dates more often haha
    But what do they really put out? I see them advertised as that but don't see them deliver. car audio seems to be the biggest offender of inflated power numbers.
    I've had some sonys specifically that are rated in that range but in reality were pretty much the same a anything else more conservatively rated.

I have several pioneer amps that are 700,800,900 watts advertised but then you see that they make around 60w RMS x 4, well that is what I would call a 240w amp. My fosgate and fosgate amps of the past seem to be much closer but still inflated, one that comes to mind is a 300w fosgate that makes 75w RMS x 2

My alpine sub amp delivers as advertised at 550w RMS x 1
    Phase Linear 2000 - Brown dog OP amp
    Phase Linear 5000

WOPL-400
    PL-400 - White Oak caps and light board, Watts abundant DCP

Acoustat 2+2
    Pioneer HPM1500

Technics SL-D303
    Pioneer PL-530

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Into how many ohms?? That's what I've noticed about car audio, most of the power ratings are into 2 ohms...so an 800 watter is really 200 into 8 ohms....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014