Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Phase Linear stuff

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    But still only 16 output devices....
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Does he remember building it??
    Either Bob Carver or Steve Johnston built it. No way to tell for sure. I also spoke to Steve a year or two ago about it and he said the same thing.
    Very interesting story about how the amp came into existence which I hope to be able to tell a little later. Perhaps after I get a little rest and I get over all the excitement we had today. Stay tuned.

Administrator
    Interesting the outputs are oriented 90 degrees from later...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    Dig you get to bring up the "coffee can" amp??

But still only 16 output devices....
    Yep only (16) devices. Even the very early 700's built in 1971 with the PL0171 pc board only had (16) transistors. (12) outputs and (4) drivers. These early amps often times had no serial numbers on them.

The bridge amp had from what I can tell so far.... no drivers mounted to the heatsinks.
    I am certainly no expert on this one yet. I hope to spend some more time with Bob and get to know this amp better.

It does not have the original output transistors which I had asked Bob about several years ago. He stated that they were Motorola transistors. I have installed GM/Delco DTS411's for the moment or until Bob gets a chance to review some of his old Motorola data sheets and tell me what the originals were.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldphaser View Post
    Yep only (16) devices. Even the very early 700's built in 1971 with the PL0171 pc board only had (16) transistors. (12) outputs and (4) drivers. These early amps often times had no serial numbers on them.

The bridge amp had from what I can tell so far.... no drivers mounted to the heatsinks.
    I am certainly no expert on this one yet. I hope to spend some more time with Bob and get to know this amp better.

It does not have the original output transistors which I had asked Bob about several years ago. He stated that they were Motorola transistors. I have installed GM/Delco DTS411's for the moment or until Bob gets a chance to review some of his old Motorola data sheets and tell me what the originals were.
    I would hazard a guess it is not a paragon of low noise....

Dig you get to bring up the "coffee can" amp??
    I spoke to him about it a number of years ago. There are a variety of different stories I have heard from people that were at the McIntosh clinics or knew Bob at the time. Some people say it exists some people say it doesn't. Some people say it refers to an open chassis. Others say it was a coffee can full of blown output transistors that were accumulated while Bob was designing the original 700. Some say it was kicking around for a while as a door stop. I have seen photos of a coffee can amp in a brand new Folgers coffee can. Needless to say, I will check into the "coffee can" story more for you.

I would hazard a guess it is not a paragon of low noise....
    We did spend some time discussing safe operating area.

Administrator
    There is a post in the "Ask Ed " forum....if you wouldn't mind.....

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by oldphaser View Post
    Here is a photo I took of Bob Carver this afternoon with my Phase Linear 700 (made in 1970) (a.k.a. Kelly DeYong 700 since Kelly DeYong ended up with some of them in Vancouver, BC). This was the second generation of the Phase Linear 700 amplifier. It came out after the "bridge amp" and before the PL0171 series pc board in 1971. Exact production numbers of this amp are unknown. This is the only known survivor at the moment. What is also unique about this amplifier are trimpots in the protection circuit. I also have a schematic.

Looks like a lot of engineering changes by the look of the board backside...