Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: What cartridge are you using?

What do you think about the cartridge? Have you had a chance to listen yet? They do need to be properly aligned and set up. I think they get better with time too. Maybe a little strident in the beginning...but man, I love mine!!!! I ended up with about 1.75 grams, but I think they recommend 2 grams or so..I'm anxious to hear what somebody else thinks.

So, what is the verdict?
    Last edited by ksrigg; 10-12-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    Sutton Rigg

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksrigg View Post
    What do you think about the cartridge? Have you had a chance to listen yet? They do need to be properly aligned and set up. I think they get better with time too. Maybe a little strident in the beginning...but man, I love mine!!!! I ended up with about 1.75 grams, but I think they recommend 2 grams or so..I'm anxious to hear what somebody else thinks.

So, what is the verdict?
    Got it all mounted up in a spare headshell and you guessed it . . . a couple of the phono lead connectors broke off. I'll need to scavenge some from another cartridge or just wait for the 3 sets I ordered to show up. It's always something!
    For the life of me I don't know why I don't just keep a few sets of those around and treat them like consumables. They're so small I should know that the damn things will just break here and there. Stand by.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    Amen.....it's always somethin!!!
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

---
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite-ist View Post
    On my Dual 1229Q, the cartridge that was on it, when I picked it up at the mini flea market was a Shure V-15 Type III. I replaced the stylus with an inexpensive Tonar VN35E. This turntable with that cartridge are a great match.

Nando.
    And a great album!!!

That is a beautiful Dual table. How does the V15 III sound with the Tonar stylus? I'm guessing it is awesome.. The stylus look to be NOS....is it a Shure or a Swiss one?
    Sutton Rigg

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    I didn't feel it was worth the expense to get a high-priced stylus for this cartridge. I can go by what I've read about Dual 1229Q turntables, and it seems Shure cartridges were the ones commonly used by Dual. I only paid $20 for the turntable and I have used it for some time in my downstairs bedroom. Picked up another Dual - a 1019.

Nando.

Smoke and mirrors baby!
    Some think that 1019 is THE Dual table to have. I want to think that it has the heaviest platter of any Dual table. My brother sent a 1019 (with Shure V15) home from Vietnam back in the late 60's, that I got to play with for a couple of years. Nice turntable with a unique and effective changer mechanism/spindle you could swap out for the single play spindle.

Check this out for the ultimate 1019 restomod:

http://doctordual.ca/chrome-dual/

I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
    I met a fellow today for a C-list deal. I had sold him some gear before. I took the dissecting microscope, so when we met in a parking lot, I set the 'scope on the spoiler of his car, laid the phono cartridge on the stage, and dialed in the optics. The stylus was straight, and the diamond looked unworn. We took it back to the house, put it on the Sony, and played an LP. It sounded great, so I've now got a Shure V-15 P-mount for $40. It's not quite my holy grail of phono cartridges, but it's close.
    What an elder can see sitting down, a youth cannot see standing up. [old Yoruba proverb]
    Look! Isn't that Uncle Patrel in a...in a taxi?! [3Mustaphas3]
    But...you keep looking over your shoulder...to see if I am ​there... [Curved Air]
    Who gives water to a goose as the land brightens for the morning of its slaughter? [Egyptian, Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor]
    ...more dust bunnies than a desert bordello... [Orange]
    Aziz...LIGHT! [Professor Pacoli, Fifth Element]

---
    Well the price was right for sure Laz. Nicely done.
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    And an evening sitting on the bed getting your hair parted by a WOPL.....

Administrator
    (and straight-up pimp stick!)
    Great deal on the cartridge, Laz. Can't go wrong with a Shure V15. I have a hankering to get a IV series. But, the III series is highly regarded, too.

Nando.