Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Brew Al K Universal crossovers.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Home Brew Al K Universal crossovers.

Alk Eng no longer offers the "Universal" crossover in kit or finished form. Al does not mind folks building them on their own. Some caps I could not get so we'll see how these work out. Alethia Audio is now the licensed seller for the universal model but offers no kit option. For the 700.00 price tag per pair this is worth pursuing. These will be assembled per Al's original construction notes. Boards courtesy of Jani/.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0409.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	12430  
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    This is what we are trying to duplicate..

Name:	DSCN0412.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	12431  
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Administrator
    One of the weak spots (not really, but with me they are) are the 10 watt 10 ohm "swamping resistor". I have opened a couple of these up like a blooming flower.. So we're gonna try 4-10 ohm, 5 watt in a series -parallel configuration...

Name:	DSCN0415.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	12432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0414.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	12433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0413.jpg 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	12434  

Life is short, so take your time
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    One of the weak spots (not really, but with me they are) are the 10 watt 10 ohm "swamping resistor". I have opened a couple of these up like a blooming flower.. So we're gonna try 4-10 ohm, 5 watt in a series -parallel configuration...
    That should keep them from blooming.
    I used to get lost in the shuffle, now I shuffle amongst the lost

Administrator
    Ya think??

Administrator
    Some progress.....

Name:	DSCN0417.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	12436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0416.jpg 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	12437  

Some progress.....
    Is the completed one from your "k"s? Are you attempting to improve them or making another set for someone else?

Administrator
    Considering Al's reputation I don't know if you could imprive the design, perhaps the components...This is the first of 2 pairs i need to build for the K's we got in Wa state that dingus flushed out last year. This set and a set of tweets and Chris' set will be up and running, then we start work on Kevins set..

Administrator
    This is as far as we can go without the rest of the caps...

Name:	DSCN0421.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	12441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0420.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	12442  

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    This is as far as we can go without the rest of the caps...
    Oui, oui!