Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Brew Al K Universal crossovers.

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by laatsch55 View Post
    Among other things...
    There are only 3 of the small(est) boards inside the PL4000 that matter, the RIAA Phono Amp, Logic Board and the Tone Amplifier. The rest of them are junk that gets bypassed when you put the Peak Unlimit, Active Equalizer and Correlate in the OUT position.

These 3 boards are all straight Class A amplifiers, simple gain circuits that rely on discrete transistors, TIS93 and 97.

The coupling of the volume pot to the Tone Amplifier is critical. If a poor connection exists between the 2, you get a nice wall-wall 48KHz square wave output that will blow all the fuses in your amp in a heartbeat.

Administrator
    Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
    I still have a gob of 93's and 97's if ya need some. 48khz square wave eh??/ Coolness...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"Silence cannot be Misquoted"--Lazarus Short-2012 "

" I Just Collect Smiles Craig......Cheap Smiles!-----Fishoz-2017

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    I still have a gob of 93's and 97's if ya need some. 48khz square wave eh??/ Coolness...
    Yeah I have a boatload of them too Lee, from you

Yes, the circuit becomes a very stable oscillator when the connection is bad right where they decided to partition the circuit. It bleeds into everything inside the preamp when it goes off.

This thing is not a paragon of low crosstalk.

Administrator
    I guess that means a great amp guy does not a great pre-amp guy make...
    taking something that's already good, and making it better...........and for the knowing smiles that cross their faces.......Nando-2011...

"anything can be done, it's finding the easiest way that's hard"-----Bobbysdad--2014

" Synth percussion is deadly to children, house pets and shitty power supplies"---Stephen Evans 2014

" You have not reached the point of diminishing returns, you've just ran out of money

" The Pioneer U-24, unfortunately, is just too expensive and rare to find. That's why I have one."--Nando-2014

Old 'Arn Enthusiast
    I guess that means a great amp guy does not a great pre-amp guy make...
    Not even close Lee. Single 35.5V rail powers it rather than a split +/-18V setup which is far more common. I had 150mV of DC offset on one output and 275mV on the other (and this is a preamp). Leaky, cheap electrolytic caps. You can imagine what that does to the front end and DC offset at the amp output.

Administrator
    Blows it clean out of the water!!

Administrator
    So when is Joe gonna design a pre-amp his amps are worthy of?

Administrator
    A couple years ago I had dialed back the mid horns because they were over powering the woofs, gonna have to change back to the original tap settings now. For all my yappin about hearing this and hearing that, I couldn't even tell my speaks were out of phase..............

---
    Could one of the speaker guru's enlighten us to what out of phase actually is, and why its important. Ive heard a few peeps tell me that my setup would be out of phase for running 2 amps with 2 different sets of speakers. Its always sounded great to me, so I just pushed that aside. Never really put much thought into it, and would like to know more. Always had the "if it aint broke" attitude towards my setup.
    And an evening sitting on the bed getting your hair parted by a WOPL.....

Administrator
    When running the + lead of the left channel out to the left speaker and hooking it to the - side of the speaker posts and the right channel hooked + to + and - to -, you are thusly out of phase. As one woofer is going out the other is going in, in effect cancelling a lot of the acoustical output.

Now why running 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers would in and of itself make them out of phase, that doesn't make sense....